The mkiv Supra Owners Club

N/A Supras "bad" for remapping????

Cadburys Purple

I have contacted 7 different ECU remapping companies today with regards to booking mine in to have it remapped, and although they seem to say that nearly all cars can be done (one company even said 95% of all cars!) the four that have so far got back to me have all told me that they cannot do the Supra N/A:(.

One company even told me that N/A Supras are "BAD" for remapping????:wtfsign:

Has anyone else on here ever had this trouble?

Also can someone please point me in the direction of a company who can and will remap the ECU.

Thanks!

Oh..........................:(.

Are there aftermarket chips available?

No, you would need to fit a re mappable ecu. Unless you are changing cams and suchlike there's little point. You'll spend thousands and have a peaky engine that's no fun to drive on the road. Unless you have a specific need to tune an N/A it's pointless, just sell it and buy a TT model, or convert it to a TT engine. If money is no object build the engine as a single turbo powerplant, but to do it properly will cost a vast amount of money, far more than a TT engine swap.

The stock ecu is more than good enough for most of the bits people fit to the NAs. Such as decats, and eek air filters. To be honest, to justify fitting a standalone mappable ECU to NA you have to be nuts (see me) or really going to town.

I know the AEM's are plug and play as far as the wiring harness goes. However with MOST standalone systems it should be possible to wire them in.

The closest you will get to a plug in ROM chip replacement would be a Mines and I'm not even sure that even got anywhere near the NA (Not much point really you see)...The mines was also a circuit board replacement unit. The toyota ECU was something special and not just a Bosch Motronic off the shelf type system.

Mind I'm sure my NA would benefit with a little bit of fuel pulling in some places.

I never considered the sensors! Duh! Thanks for that.

Can they just be cleaned or is it much better to just replace them?

How much were they for yours?

You can clean them, but rememeber they have probably been in there since the life of your car. So fresh ones is the best way forward. Not 100% sure on the cost, I will check when I get home. Give Steve Manley a call to get more accurate pricing. Good clean sensors, good set of plugs and leads for a strong spark, and good clean oil.... That should do the job nicely..

Hi mate ;)

You could start off by soaking your 2 O2 sensors in lemon juice for a few hours, brings them up a treat, takes off all the gunge :) It wont give you any massive gains in performance but if the sensors are registering the air flow incorrectly it will affect your performance.

Have you had it dyno'd as these cars loose a few ponies over the years. I would imagine if its dipped below the 220bhp mark you should be able to bring it back up. You need to know what you have to play with first though ;) The garage that serviced mine dyno'd an N/A that was only putting out 195 bhp and got it back up to 220bhp without any problems or engine modifications and the owner is really chuffed.

EDIT: i cleaned my sensors and along with the new sparks its smoother, quieter and the mpg is up. All good!

Lxx

As always the yanks are taking the first steps.....

Throwing down the gauntlet against Toyota's ECU

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some of you know me, some of you dont. I've been here a very long time and have been an avid Toyota/Lexus fan (specifically the JZ-based chassis cars) for many years.

In my other experiences with other manufacturers, I find they all have one HUGE benefit over Toyota when it comes to aftermarket performance. The data for the Nissan, Honda, and Mitsubishi ECUs is readily available to anyone that wants to know. Memory addresses are mapped down to every option and the ECU can be reprogrammed to literally stand on its head.

I'm absolutely sick of not having this option when it comes to Toyotas (OBD1 specifically). You either pay big cash for an unreliable AEM, or a smaller amount on a unit from a small list of piggybacks with inconsistent results. The pricing of Techtom flashing ($800+) is absolutely ridiculous when you consider the cost in parts of building something like it (about $15).

Dramon and I have decided to undertake an abstract project of more aftermarket ECU options for the JZ-chassis. Including Plug and Play options for Megasquirt2, using GTE injection/ignition/ECU system on GE cars, and ultimately to hacking the GTE/GE ECU itself. We are well on our way with the first stage: research and idea-making/planning. We've dug up some striking data on the ECU already that wasnt commonly available.

We intend to turn the underground and hush-hush BS of the Toyota ECU modifying on its head; capitalism be damned. We will eventually offer to flash your car for you but will offer the DIY components for those that wish to do it themselves, but right now this is just a research and development project with a completely open forum. We want the best and the brightest and those willing to learn to come help us with these various projects.

Come post: http://www.clubna-t.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51

We're debating on setting up research teams. Researching by scouring the internet and other offline libraries for various information that we need; and to engineer solutions to problems. Dramon and I are both doing this in our spare time because we enjoy the challenge and enjoy working with this kind of stuff.

Making a PCB that could double as a datalogger (since the sampling rate of the stock ECU is something on the verge of 200fetches/second) would be outstanding. Software can be developed to make an interactive gui when reading the ECU's output, etc... the possibilities are endless and it literally gets me giddy inside thinking about it

Cheers Adam but for now I think I'll do as Linda suggested and give the car a good going over with just cleaning the sensors, oil change, new fuel filter and oil filter, plugs etc.

My plans for the car are to keep it N/A but to make it more responsive and more drivable.

I ran at Santa Pod earlier this year when the car was standard with the air temp at about 28 degrees and I ran a 15.7.

I would love to get it in the mid 14's!

I did all the filters, plugs etc after I had mine and it worked a treat. Didn't do the O2 sensors though but will soon. That will sort things out even more. But I seem to be doing a lot of miles so will probably do the lot again, when mike stops crashing his motors and has a few mins;)

Geth, Nic is doing a group buy on O2 sensors at the moment. Im thinking of adding my name. NA's need 2 and nic will do them for £75 each. Normally about a ton Im told. Check out the import pimp:)

Thanks Adam :thumbs:

The O2 sensor are £110+ I believe in the UK, I'm organising a group buy at the moment for £74 each including postage. The O2 sensors deteriorate with age, most cars out there I'd guess are still running the same ones from the factory, so will most likely be knackered by now. When the sensors are worn out, the ECU will default to an overly rich mixture for safety reasons, which will give you low mpg and will be robbing the engine of some performance.

On an NA you'll need 2, it may sound expensive but the benfits in mpg's will mean that they will pay for themselves very quickly. Group buy details here:

http://mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=111237&page=7

I ran at Santa Pod earlier this year when the car was standard with the air temp at about 28 degrees and I ran a 15.7.

I would love to get it in the mid 14's!

Are mid 14's possible with the N/A (without NOS etc)? At SupraPod, some of the TT's were only hitting low 14's, which I think is about the quoted 1/4 for a stock car.

"cadburys" just did my o2s [cleaned in lemon juice] and plugs and the difference is the motor feels more willing to pull and seems to stay in gear longer before shifting and my mpg has improved think im getting close to 22mpg which for a 93 motor is pretty good .stick your o2s in a lemon for 24hours .be carefull when removing the nuts DONT drop one i did it took me 20mins to find it .:D