The mkiv Supra Owners Club

R3DG3CKO Project 2008

R3DG3CKO ROB

OK guys, I'm finally in a financial position where I can seriously start thinking about my project :)

My plan is to do a engine and gearbox swap into my Aerotop so I'm looking for some advice. As I'm having all this work done it seems only sensible to go BPU at the same time and need some advice as to what I can expect...

I'm obviously going to need a twin turbo engine, manual gearbox and possibly a TT manual wiring loom but other than that I need some serious educating? please could people advise what else I'd need and perhaps recommend garages to do the work? I'll add a shopping list to this post as the thread goes on so people can see what I'm planning :)

p.s. (I'm in Cambridgeshire)

------------------------------

Updated Shopping List

Stage 1 - Engine Swap

• TT engine - re-built
  • 6 speed Manual Gearbox + wirring loom?
  • Brakes -
  • Springs -
  • Dampers -
  • Engine Mounts -
  • Transmission Mounts -
  • FMIC -
  • manual TT ECU -

Stage 2 - BPU

• Decat Pipes -
  • Restrictor Ring / Boost Controller - (depending on donor)
  • Cat Back Exhaust - (would a NurSpec do?)
  • Fuel Cut Defender -
  • New Fuel Pump -
  • Iridium IK22 plugs -
  • Boost Gauge -
  • AFR guage -

i'd put BPU on hold, you can easily do this later when the engine is installed. I'd concentrate on stock bits like new engine mounts and tranmission mounts etc ie the things that are probably a bit worn and that are easily replaced when doing major work like you have planned........

going from NA to stock TT is a massive hike in power as it is.....

I'd contact Smellywelshman to see what he thinks of his recent na to tt conversion..........

it's really just a wish list at the moment so I need to factor all the cost in including BPU so I can plan when to do the work.

One thing I was thinking about was buying a manual TT and using it as a donor - getting both engines re-built and swapping everything over so I end up with a re-built n/a to re-sell at the end as well :) Is this do-able?

Hi mate,

got your PM. My advice would be to hand your car over to Jezz and let him do the major work of swapping all the gubbins over.:)

Theres no substitute for experience mate, and they've done the heart transplant loads of times. They just know exactly what needs doing, and they dont hang around doing it;)

Theres also brilliant communications (by PM or phone) and just speaking to them puts your mind at ease about any (and there will be a few of them) questions you have.

As scooters said, I'd personally leave BPU for now as its enough to do the swap and as long as you get an fmic fitted with the conversion as I did:d;) BPU will be fairly easy and affordable at a later date!

Besides, you've got to leave yourself some mods to look forward to whan you start getting bored with a mere 330 odd ponies!!:eyebrows:

Good luck with it mate, you WONT be dissapointed:d

Oh, and my suspension and brakes are coping fine. Untill I decide to change themthat is!!!:sly:

ah, cheers for the advice dudes :) I've contacted Jezz so will wait and see what he says but I think I'll split the work into two sections as you've reccomended... getting the engine swapped and running and then perhaps pusing BPU upwards towards 500?

500hp is not possible at BPU levels, you'd need to fit a small single turbo to achieve that sort of power. The limit on stock turbos would be around 430fwhp max.

Cheers Nic...

Really? I thought the TT was tunable to around 500 on stock turbos??? I think a couple of people have been exagerating then ;)

does anyone know if there's a major difference between the five and six speed bokes? (apart from the obvious) performance, reliability etc?

The 5spd box has a limit of what hp/torque it can deal with, BPU TT will really be pushing those limits to the breaking point.

What because it's an Aero? I thought the chasis were all prety much the same between n/a and TT ???

Yep, Aero's have the same chassis na and tt. There's a few extra pillar brackets, 2mm rails inside the sills, and a 5th strip inside the screen surround, compared to the hard top. I took great pleasure with a disc cutter one day just to see the differences. I'll get some pics up of the results actually. :)

Yep, Aero's have the same chassis na and tt. There's a few extra pillar brackets, 2mm rails inside the sills, and a 5th strip inside the screen surround, compared to the hard top. I took great pleasure with a disc cutter one day just to see the differences. I'll get some pics up of the results actually. :)

That would be interesting Jezz........

But surely that makes it that the chassis are not the same, as the Areo has been strengthened further to stop flex when the roof is off.....;)

the Areo has been strengthened further to stop flex when the roof is off.....;)
:s%/stop/"compensate for"

You wont need chassis stregthening, yours is the strongest already as its an Areo......
Doesn't the medallion/chestwig model still handle worse than a proper Supra despite the attempts to stiffen the chassis in lieu of a roof?

Style over substance - the very spirit of the 90's.

:s%/stop/"compensate for"

Doesn't the medallion/chestwig model still handle worse than a proper Supra despite the attempts to stiffen the chassis in lieu of a roof?

Style over substance - the very spirit of the 90's.

So they say, yeah.....;)

I should edit my previous statement then to say that the chassis has been strengthened further to 'try' and stop it flexing.....