The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Cryogenics/Frozen bits

kslb

From web site:

The reason cryogenics is so effective is because we treat the entire component from core to surface and we do so very slowly so that the entire item is at the same temperature at all times. As we take the temperature into the deep cryogenic range and maintain it at -185 C the molecular flow rate reduces so allowing the micro structures within the material to become far more uniformed.

http://www.195below.co.uk is where I looked on the web the company is called Cryogenic Treatment Ltd. This is their Auto Sport Blurb.

AutoSport:

This is the dream application for cryogenics as it brings together the two key benefits of the process, increased wear resistance and stress relief / dimensional stability. (Find out how in the Science section).

We treat a variety of engines for car, bike and kart racers and they enjoy the benefits of reduced maintenance time and lower spares costs together with an increase in the output from the engine. As all the components are working at their optimal level the effect when you bring them together is an engine that can stay at peak tune for longer. As the microstructure of the components is now more uniform this allows more efficient heat dissipation.

The heat dissipation effect, combined with the refined grain structure, is of great significance to the brake disc. The result is a brake disc that is far better at resisting warp and micro cracking so reducing fade with the added benefit of doubling usable disc life.

There are many mechanical items on a motor vehicle that can be improved by cryogenic processing:-

Bearings - Engine Blocks & Heads - Brake Discs & Drums - Camshafts - Clutch - Con Rods - Crank Shafts - Cylinder Sleeves - Gears - Pistons / Rings - Rocker Arms - Spark Plugs / Wires - Valve Springs - Drive Components - Bearings.

I had the BOC cryogenics truck here last week, to put some Mercedes valve seats in. they need freezing, and the head heating to drop them in, as they are engineered to a very tight interference fit. I have a Racecar Engineering article on component cryogenic treatment somewhere, I seem to recall it wasn't quite as good as the reps would have you believe... There's a lot of interesting surface treatments emerging from the Aerospace industry into the automotive field at the moment.

I had the BOC cryogenics truck here last week, to put some Mercedes valve seats in. they need freezing, and the head heating to drop them in, as they are engineered to a very tight interference fit. I have a Racecar Engineering article on component cryogenic treatment somewhere, I seem to recall it wasn't quite as good as the reps would have you believe... There's a lot of interesting surface treatments emerging from the Aerospace industry into the automotive field at the moment.

Out of interest, if they are such a tight fit requiring thermal expansion/shrinkage just to fit them don't they put a HUGE friction load on the cams and such? Just curious as to why they are engineered to an inch of their lives.

These are the valve SEATS, the cams don't go near them, and they don't move (or at least they SHOULDN'T that's the whole point of fitting them cryogenically! :)

Sorry... my bad on that one, skip reading, I read it as valves and not valve seats... okay never mind..write off it as me being thick :p

I've just had lunch and I'm off on holiday tomorrow, so I'm relaxed and not paying full attention.

What be your view on this. :)

http://www.metal-wear.com/More%20Detail.htm

on first reading it talks sensibly about the benefits of modifying the crystaline or grain structure of the metal and its effect on toughness / fatigue resistance...........if the cryogenic process does indeed do this then i'd say it will make it 'tougher'........does it do it though?

for those interested the pattern of a galvanised item is a great visual example of a metals crystaline structure the 'army camoflage' type pattern you see is a result of different crystals and there different orientation and hence different refraction of light you end up seeing.........obviously in this case the molten zinc coating applied is purely for corrosion protection it provides, however in extreme structural applications a multicrystal structure is not the best. eg the turbines in engine aircraft are made so a they are only one single crystal (ie using the galvanising example above, if this was done you would just see a even colouring across the whole treated area)

so what i'm saying is the science of a more ordered, uniform, void free etc structure = better toughness / fatigue resistance is sound.................not sure Cryogenic treatment does or does not do this myself.................i'll read on :)