The mkiv Supra Owners Club

My Single Turbo MKIV and I saying "Hello" from Down Under!

Guest lay-z

Hi Everyone, (Long post ahead)

Firstly, I'm astound at the quality of information on these forums and have helped both myself, and my mechanic/tuner with several issues we've come across through the stages of building up my Supra.

I would like to know the procedures of joining up as a non UK member.

I've owned my Supra for two years now and only just recently gone single turbo! :D

Here are the specs:

1994 JDM RZ

Engine:

4" pod filter enclosed in a custom made Perspex airbox

3" stainless steel custom made exhaust with a 3" dump pipe

Custom made 300x600x76 Front Mount Intercooler

Blitz SBC I-Colour

Blitz DTT DC-II Turbo timer

HKS SSQV BOV

Custom made stainless steel exhaust manifold

Garrett TO4Z with a 0.96 A/R

Tial 44mm external wastegate.

Titan Harmonics Balancer

Twin Walbro 255L fuel pumps

SARD 800cc direct drop in Injectors

GReddy Emanage Ultimate Piggyback ECU

Radiator Cooling Panel

Transmission:

Fully rebuilt A340E transmission with strengthened internals

"1.5 stage" shift kit (Valve body mod)

3000rpm stall converter

PWR 200x280x19 transmission cooler

Suspension:

Factory Bilsteins

TRD front strut brace

Brakes:

Toyota four piston front brakes with Hawk Brake Pads

Toyota single piston rear brakes with TRD street pads

Goodridge braided steel brake lines

Interior/Exterior:

TuRD 10k tacho

TuRD 320km/h speedo

TuRD replica Wing

Euro-spec bonnet scoop

Wheels:

18x8 and 18x9 Racing Hart CR4

Falken Azenis 326 245/40/18 and 275/35/18

16x9 stock Toyota wheels with 255/50/16 Mickey Thompson ET Street Radial Tyres (hence why I have single piston callipers at the rear ;))

That's all I can think of now, so here is a before and after photo of my car:

Before:

http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/2607/dscn02078fw3.jpg

As it is now minus the airbox:

http://img389.imageshack.us/img389/5884/image223resizedob8.jpg

http://img329.imageshack.us/img329/8522/image224resizedzq6.jpg

http://img389.imageshack.us/img389/2319/image232resizedmg2.jpg

http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/73/image230resizedyv7.jpg

I dont have any power figures as yet but I made 196rwkw when it was stock, and 237rwkw with BPU at 16psi

We are currently tuning the Emanage for the single turbo setup but we have run into some problems.

I have done some searching, and sounds just like what Ian C encountered when he tuned his EMU for the first time.

Here's what we've done so far:

The EMU was wired up with an Emanage Blue car specific harness and a supplementary harness thus making it a Emanage Ultimate harness for the 2jz-gte

The car started up and idled perfectly with the stock 440cc injectors

The 800cc injectors were installed.

This is where the Emanage Ultimate started causing problems:

It would only start with an injector lag time set with 440/0.9ms and 800/12ms as the parameters - which of course, is way too rich, takes away close loop and takes highway driving out of the picture.

So as the car is running, my tuner would trim it down to a better idle - then turn the car off once it has warmed up. However, the car won't start again afterwards.

So we decided to try to run a PowerFC to see if it was the injectors or ECU that was causing problems - alas, the car idled and ran perfectly with the PowerFC plugged in.

So we then decided to install the Injector Adapter 2 last week, but it still didn't rectify the problem.

Does anyone have any idea what we could have missed or have done wrong to cause this happening?

Is there anything that we could have possibly simply missed that's right under our nose?

I'd really appreciate the help, thanks!

-Alan

Hello and welcome to the club :)

I had exactly the same issue (although was using an emanage blue, not ultimate).

It was only resolved after moving to a Power FC any making some huge corrections to the injector lag time (I'm using flow tested Power Enterprise drop in injectors)

From what I've heard here before the Sards can be a nightmare and very mis-matched from the factory, did you have them fully flow tested prior to installation? What were the results?

It's an absolute must that you have injectors properly flow tested (not just cleaned!) prior to fitting. Get them out now and have them tested to ensure they're all providing equal flow.

There's been plenty of stories here of injectors (even ones much higher quality than the Sards) being out by 20% or more. Some have even been found to lock.

magictorch: The first photo was taken at Port Botany which is just around the corner from Sydney Airport.

My tuner took the injectors out today to have them flow tested, and he reported that there was nothing abnormal from the results.

We used the same parameters and injector lag times on a borrowed powerFC, and the car started in an instant and idled perfectly - which is really mind boggling.

I know for a fact that 800cc injectors can be used on the EMU in Supras as I have seen it been done countless times, so why can't it work in my instance? :confused: We have checked the wiring of the harness three times now and cannot find any fault in the wiring. Is there possibly anything that we have forgotten to do or we missed in the process?

It's just so bizzare because the car started, idled and ran fine with the factory 440cc injectors

P.S How do i join up to become a club member as an overseas user?