The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Hi, Newbie Supra questions

Guest J4CKO

Hi !

Have always fancied a Supra and have recently taken a job 7 miles from home, will cycle some days as well so petrol not such an issue, so a few questions I would be grateful for answers to, !will also use the search facility

Rear seats, we have a people carrier but I sometimes need to have kids use the rear seats, are they any use ?

Do they rust ?

I have not driven RWD for a while, is a TT a liability in the wet, I appreciate any powerful car needs respect but what are they like.

MPG, not to much of an issue but Autocar says 19-29 mpg, is this realistic.

Insurance, I am 36, have NCD, live in a low risk area, low mileage, what should I expect ? are the imports much more expensive to insure ? is the N/A any cheaper ?

Spares availability, any hard to get items ?

Are there any meets where I could come and have a nosey, I am in Wilmslow Cheshire.

My other possibility is the 320 bhp M3 Evo, is the Supra a better choice, wrong place to ask but worth a try.

Why do so many get done up like a dogs dinner ?

Is the manual or auto the best choice, personal preference aside, what is the common consensus.

How much would I need to pay for a standard/light modded TT ?

Cheers for any info and apologies for the deluge of daft questions !

Hi !

Rear seats, we have a people carrier but I sometimes need to have kids use the rear seats, are they any use ?

no (you might get one behind the passenger tho)

Do they rust ?

never seen any rust tbh...

I have not driven RWD for a while, is a TT a liability in the wet, I appreciate any powerful car needs respect but what are they like.

Yes, lots of respect. Enjoy in the dry. protect in the wet. More so with a turbo. The rear end is very twitchy with 2 much right foot. ive span mine in the dry going uphill. And thats an NA

MPG, not to much of an issue but Autocar says 19-29 mpg, is this realistic.

sounds about right. 29 is pushing it tho maybe.

Insurance, I am 36, have NCD, live in a low risk area, low mileage, what should I expect ? are the imports much more expensive to insure ? is the N/A any cheaper ?

imports are a fair whack more expensive. but the difference between N/A and TT isnt much. Some people even manage to insure TT's cheeper

Spares availability, any hard to get items ?

Not sure to be honest. someone else can answer that.

Are there any meets where I could come and have a nosey, I am in Wilmslow Cheshire.

more than likely. come to jap show at santapod in a few weeks. 100 or so of us there :) (and a great day out)

My other possibility is the 320 bhp M3 Evo, is the Supra a better choice, wrong place to ask but worth a try.

different cars. cant particulary compare. M3 is a sports saloon the supra is a RWD sports car with better looks ;)

Why do so many get done up like a dogs dinner ?

Veilside was popular for some reason...

Is the manual or auto the best choice, personal preference aside, what is the common consensus.

Thats a can of worms right there... Person choice is my opinion

How much would I need to pay for a standard/light modded TT ?

Varies on age/condition etc anywhere from about 4.5k for a tatty one up to about 7-8 for a mint facelift vvti? Thats just a guess

Hope that helps

Rear seats are hopeless for anything other than very occasional use. Zero leg room unless the driver and passenger are midgets.

They don't really rust. The galvanised body is great in that respect. Some rusting on rear hatches has been reported though, not a common problem really.

Yes, they're very tail happy in the wet. You can easily control it with some care and experience - or RLTC.

19 MPG is about right. 29 MPG is only realistic if you only do downhill journeys.

Imports are dearer to insure but not all that much more if you phone around. NA insurance is usually about the same as the import TT.

Spares are not a problem. The option extra side skirts and spats are the only item I know of that you can't get new any more.

Dunno about your local meets.

The M3 is a good car too. If you can find a good hard top one it would make a good alternative to a TT Supra. Personally I wouldn't be seen dead in a convertible one though (or an aerotop Supra)

They get done up like dog's dinners because people have no taste.

The manual TT is the best choice for most folks but the autos are very good too. The manuals are harder to find and dearer. Test drive both and see if you like the auto, they're surprisingly good.

How much would you need to pay for a standard/light modded TT? How long is a piece of string? A 1993 auto TT with 90,000 miles and a Bomex/Veilside bumper, ironing board spoiler and loud dump valve will be about £4k, a 2002 6sp VVTi with 40k miles and OE bodykit will still set you back 18-20k, if you can find one.

HTH

Guest DaveWilko

I have an auto myself which I bought a few weeks ago and having driven manual cars for years and always regarded autos with disdain, I have to say I'm converted. There is a manual mode which means you can start in 1st, rev it as high as your mechanical sympathy or the rev limiter will allow before nudging the lever into 2nd and then 3rd by which stage you will be well into 3 figure speeds. Or if you are just pootling around you just let it do its own thing. It also has an overdrive button which keeps it in 4th as much as possible. It is handy to press the button to drop to 3rd to build up some boost if you are about to overtake. My mate has an E55 AMG merc and I honestly think the Supra autobox is better.

The handling is very controllable in the dry and very forgiving. I have a Golf GTi 180 and the supe would drive rings round it easily. Just respect it in the wet lol. Nothing inferior about the car's suspension or setup, just the fact of 320 odd bhp going through the back wheels

Rear seats are hopeless for anything other than very occasional use. Zero leg room unless the driver and passenger are midgets.

They don't really rust. The galvanised body is great in that respect. Some rusting on rear hatches has been reported though, not a common problem really.

Yes, they're very tail happy in the wet. You can easily control it with some care and experience - or RLTC.

19 MPG is about right. 29 MPG is only realistic if you only do downhill journeys.

Imports are dearer to insure but not all that much more if you phone around. NA insurance is usually about the same as the import TT.

Spares are not a problem. The option extra side skirts and spats are the only item I know of that you can't get new any more.

Dunno about your local meets.

The M3 is a good car too. If you can find a good hard top one it would make a good alternative to a TT Supra. Personally I wouldn't be seen dead in a convertible one though (or an aerotop Supra)

They get done up like dog's dinners because people have no taste.

The manual TT is the best choice for most folks but the autos are very good too. The manuals are harder to find and dearer. Test drive both and see if you like the auto, they're surprisingly good.

How much would you need to pay for a standard/light modded TT? How long is a piece of string? A 1993 auto TT with 90,000 miles and a Bomex/Veilside bumper, ironing board spoiler and loud dump valve will be about £4k, a 2002 6sp VVTi with 40k miles and OE bodykit will still set you back 18-20k, if you can find one.

HTH

:iagree:

Welcome, 19-24MPG, IMO auto,s GREAT, manual better for track days or if you live in a rural area without traffic is probably ok, also unlike most auto's is not really slower than manual. M3 Great bit of kit my only grumble with them is they're as common as dog s**t. I think to approach 400bhp @ the fly can be done for

> Insurance, I am 36, have NCD, live in a low risk area, low mileage, what should

> I expect ? are the imports much more expensive to insure ? is the N/A any cheaper ?

Imports definitely more expensive than UK models. Import NA identical to import TT (which means a UK TT can be cheaper to insure than an import NA, but probably not by that much). And just to give you an idea, I'm 33 with only 3 years no claims, 6k miles/year, low/medium risk area, no mods other than alloys, £380 per year fully comp. Admiral gave me the best quote (with their multi-car policy) and I got Elephant to match it.

"Are there any meets where I could come and have a nosey, I am in Wilmslow Cheshire."

We used to have a regular meet at Mascrat Manor in Warrington but that is all a bit up in the air at the moment after the "filth" ruined what was a quiet low key meet!

Have a look at the North West Events section. There is a trip to the Crazy Dutch Pancake House in North Wales where we normally meet at Chester Services.

There is also a Blackpool Illuminations meet at the end of October!

If you wish I can try and arrange a few of us to get together for a "mini meet"......:)

H.

Amazed at all the helpful responses, cheers.

Slightly concerned about the rear seats, I have three boys, rarely need to get them all in but need to be able to sit two in the back, one in the front occasionally.

Dont know if I need a TT, would rather have a nice looking, good condition N/A than a ropey TT, or would it feel slow after a while, coming from a 150 bhp Saab 9-3 which moves well enough for a grandad wagon, would a N/A be much quicker than 0-60 in 8 secs ?