The mkiv Supra Owners Club

more power

grahamc

Ok, with a good result at the Surrey Rolling Road day, being 451bhp, how do I get more out of the car?

More response, more power...

My list of mods are:

FMIC

HKS Fuel system - 680cc injectors, walbro fuelpump

HKS Cams - 264/264

Induction

Exhaust full decat

Hybrid turbos

LINK ecu

The current map needs some work, which RyanG is doing this weekend, traction control and launch control are also going to get done.

I am looking at possibly doing some sort of progressive boost control done, IE. x boost in 1st, y boost in 2nd, z boost in 3rd, etc.

What options are there?

Without going to single or NOS

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just humour me!

In that case, AFAIK you have pretty much done it. Have a search for what Ian C got out of his hybrids and what mods he had. I think he maxed them out before going single.

I am thinking that that is where I am right now... :( would honestly love to stay with sequential setup and see what the absolute max of it is...

But I think the turbos will be holding the car back instead of helping out!

more mods you could try,

-HkS trac removal kit

-Some kind of water /meth injection to bring the charge temps down

-uprated cam pulleys to tweak the timing a little?

-BL crank pulley(supposed to be slightly lighter)

-Lightened pulley kit

-modified stock airbox with cool air feed

theres not that much left for you bar nitrous.

:)

:rlol: @ Jake.

I'd fit an ERL Aquamist Water Injection system, as the stock turbo's tend to run high EGTs.

By induction kit I assume it's just a cone filter? Have you sorted out a cold air feed and made a shield to keep the hot engine bay air away from the intake?

I wouldn't bother with cam gears myself.

Just some off the top of my head

- Larger throttle body with no trac control

- Aquamist

- Vented bonnet/improved cold air intake

I don't think there's a great deal you can do to get more power, though you've got to remember you already have a LOT of power available.

Perhaps it's time to make that power more usable? Proper suspension setup (setup by a pro like CW); larger brakes; weight loss; etc

Or if you're feeling like doing something different (and possibly a world first on the 2JZ-GTE): http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=124853

more mods you could try,

-HkS trac removal kit

-Some kind of water /meth injection to bring the charge temps down

-uprated cam pulleys to tweak the timing a little?

-BL crank pulley(supposed to be slightly lighter)

-Lightened pulley kit

-modified stock airbox with cool air feed

theres not that much left for you bar nitrous.

:)

by cam pulleys, do you mean cam gears? If so, I hve shiny HKS ones :)

:rlol: @ Jake.

I'd fit an ERL Aquamist Water Injection system, as the stock turbo's tend to run high EGTs.

By induction kit I assume it's just a cone filter? Have you sorted out a cold air feed and made a shield to keep the hot engine bay air away from the intake?

I wouldn't bother with cam gears myself.

I do like the idea of the water injection, have been thinking of this.

I have still got some of the standard ducting to that sits above the radiator.

Where can I get one of these shields?

Just take it to Thor or TSR - you'll easily get over 500bhp there.

What about throttle bodies? Is there a point to changing any of this?

Just some off the top of my head

- Larger throttle body with no trac control

- Aquamist

- Vented bonnet/improved cold air intake

I don't think there's a great deal you can do to get more power, though you've got to remember you already have a LOT of power available.

Perhaps it's time to make that power more usable? Proper suspension setup (setup by a pro like CW); larger brakes; weight loss; etc

Or if you're feeling like doing something different (and possibly a world first on the 2JZ-GTE): http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=124853

Ok, aquamist system is definitely on the list then :)

What are my options around the throtte bodies?

I have done some weight saving, and will be doing lot more this winter.... Quite seriously thinking about stripping the dash and going for a digital dash, couple switches (fight plane style) and not much of the rest.

CWs suspension is on the cards as well :)

I was reading that thread, its what got me thinking... but I am not any good at fabricating... :D Will be havng a chat with RyanG to see if thinks he and the LINK would be up to the job.

On the weight loss side, what have you done? There is a huge amount to save in some areas, but it's not very cost effective.

Lightweight seats save a load, lightweight battery, remove rear seats, strip out unneeded wiring (I removed 8kg from mine!), carbon rear hatch, carbon prop, carbon driveshafts, lightweight wheels, lightweight floating discs (think thats what they're called), lightweight calipers, erm... Thats about £10k spent :D Possibly even ditch the FMIC and go uprated SMIC

Heat wrap EVERYTHING!

I'm pretty certain individual throttle boddies are pointless on a turbocharged car since you have forced induction.

Any standalone (like the link) could control the VNT turbo's. In fact I don't even think ECU control is required for the VNT operation alone.

On the weight loss side, what have you done? There is a huge amount to save in some areas, but it's not very cost effective.

Lightweight seats save a load, lightweight battery, remove rear seats, strip out unneeded wiring (I removed 8kg from mine!), carbon rear hatch, carbon prop, carbon driveshafts, lightweight wheels, lightweight floating discs (think thats what they're called), lightweight calipers, erm... Thats about £10k spent :D Possibly even ditch the FMIC and go uprated SMIC

Heat wrap EVERYTHING!

I'm pretty certain individual throttle boddies are pointless on a turbocharged car since you have forced induction.

Any standalone (like the link) could control the VNT turbo's. In fact I don't even think ECU control is required for the VNT operation alone.

front seats ditched for sparco fixed back ones

rear seats out, including rear seat belts

all boot equipment, including space saver out

all sound equipment out - put some back in, but never wired it up so that needs to come out

electric mirrors binned for apr carbon ones

plan for the winter is

to strip down the dash completely over the winter

remove the carpet (replace with something else...??)

move battery to behind seat

remove the sound deadening

also want to try my hand at making some fibreglass/carbon fibre panels to replace parts of the dash, looking at the link display or some sort of digital dash to do the job.

at the risk of being slated and told I dont know what I'm doing, could it not be stripped out, bored out SLIGHTLY more, and give a good polish, might make a slight difference?

As implied keeping everything a bit cooler too, methods supplied up there ^^ and hopefully when Ryan does his map it should up things a little?

at the risk of being slated and told I dont know what I'm doing, could it not be stripped out, bored out SLIGHTLY more, and give a good polish, might make a slight difference?

As implied keeping everything a bit cooler too, methods supplied up there ^^ and hopefully when Ryan does his map it should up things a little?

Could *what* be stripped out etc etc??

Will you be at the dyno on Sunday mate? If so see you there :)

no, mapping is moved to next weekend.

Don't bother with a throttle change, you can't produce enough power on hybrids to benefit.

Ok, so no throttle bodies

Some good suggestions so far

water injection

lighter car

battery moved

ecu map cleaned up

close off the induction kit from the rest of the engine

What about a race fuel map? Considering its a LINK, should be quite easy to do... :D

A race fuel map would be a nice idea...would be good to see what, if any, gains can be made.

Reduced weight is the fastest way to make the power count. And ammusingly fitting a single is the easiest way to take weight out of the nose :p

Moving anything that's heavy and in front of the front wheels is a good idea...ie the battery. But it all depends on whether you value the car's natural GT nature or want it to be far more race car like.

A Ti Veilside exhaust is a bit lighter that a normal one...things like that can help reduce weight but the cost is high too....swings and roundabouts.

As in strip, the engine down, how else could you bore it out? Thought everyone would make that connection! lol

Yeah but you didn't say engine, so I had to double check...seeing as we were talking about TB's!!!!

He *could* fit a 3.4...but then the turbo's are the main limitation and the cost is somewhat immense to do a 3.4.