The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Moving the goalposts...My 1st Supra viewing

Kev_A

Well, as some of you may know, I'm in the market for a Supra at the moment, particulary the GZ Twin turbo auto variant,

I've spoken to Jurgen and TBH will probably end up getting one through him as he's local, has an A* rep and I've had past import experience with him :)

In the meantime, I didn't think it would do anyharm to look round a few local examples around garage forecourts, with not alot of choice I hit the internet and started browsing through the cars Vine place had to offer, I called Dave Rowe (founder) and asked if he had any Supra's in the country, he said he had 2, both were available to inspect at Thirkells garages located in Sunderland, Tyne and wear next to the stadium of shite,

He put me in touch with the owner of Thirkells, a guy called Tommy and asked the general craic regarding the 2 soops, he informed me that one was a N/A and the other was TT, both had leather, one had a kit fitted, so I checked out his website - http://www.thirkellsgarages.co.uk and sure enough there they were, both in silver but only 1 pic per car, the TT was on the website for £6,595

Anyway, I called Tommy this morning and said I'd come and have a look at the cars, went down this afternoon and the 1st one I seen parked in front of the building was the TT, so before the vultures (sales folk) started circling, I had a neb round, car looked sweet, a standard, unmolested GZ, in silver, very clean, Full leather & electrics etc on standard anthrasite 5 spokes,

Tommy then came out and I had a bit craic with him about the car, had a sit in, very comfortable and fairly spacious, everything worked, loads of Jap documentation in the glovebox, looked under the bonnet, very clean looking example of an engine, with only 88,000KM on a '94 plate! started it up, very smooth and very quiet, looked in the boot, original spare was there, complete with tools, unused, I then came to the price in the window which was £7,995 ?!

I said that the TT on the website was £6,595, he said No, no, the price on the website id £7,995, I said, No, definately £6,595, I checked this morning before I left the house and I checked on my mobile before I left work to come here, he had a bit of a puzzled look on his face and said, ok then, I'll go and check, he came back and said, you're absolutely right, I've changed it now though, regardless of what price was on the site the car is £7,995!

Imagine if you'd made the trip down there to view the car thinking it was £1,400 cheaper than what it actually was! I was a bit pissed off TBH as at £6,595 I would have actually been interested combined with a fair P/X for my car, anyway, he took me for a spin down sunderland road, what a car mind! to me, even the standard power is astounding! Engine feels sooo torquey, but yet so smooth and very quiet, it's a firm yet comfortable ride and the auto box seems to know whats it's doing at all times! also, the sound of the turbo's spooling up is fantastic!

Left it at that for now, as I said, although I loved the car, I was "miffed" to say the least that he was willing to dismiss the fact that it had been advertised for £1,400 less! for all he knows the price is what brought me down there!

Sorry for the huge write up BTW, just wanted to be thorough :p

Kev

Hi Kev, that was abit unlucky but hopefully you will find one soon. Give me a ring the next time your going to have a look at one and I'll come with ya :)

In the meantime I'll have a look for one in that price range for ya aswel but £6,595 is cheap for a tt, one might come round sooner or later if you wait :) But I suppose you want to p/x aswel, what can Jurgen do for ya?

You didn't ring to confirm before driving down there ?

I bet you will from now on Good luck with your search :)

It was another guy I spoke to yesterday afternoon who said all details on the internet were correct, the reason I asked was that David Rowe told me that neither had leather which was again contrary to what Thirkells website said and contrary to actual fact

Still, haggle him down, good opportunity to meet him half way ;)

Gaz.

Watch this space ;)

Hi Kev, that was abit unlucky but hopefully you will find one soon. Give me a ring the next time your going to have a look at one and I'll come with ya :)

In the meantime I'll have a look for one in that price range for ya aswel but £6,595 is cheap for a tt, one might come round sooner or later if you wait :) But I suppose you want to p/x aswel, what can Jurgen do for ya?

Cheers mate!

I don't know when you're available though! :p

I know you work long hours and probably just want to chill or spend time with Alana when you get back, she's hit me before, I don't want that to happen again for me stealing you to look at Soop's :p I feel I'm pestering you alot lately, asking for advice all the time

I told him I was going to view another one tonight and that I'd see how that went before going any further, might give him a ring tommorow and try and play him off, I may be able to use the fact that he falsely advertised it as leverage :eyebrows:

Also in regards to P/X he didn't go anywhere near my car, I just pointed out the fact it was mine, he looked and probably just assumed it was another Diseasal Vectra with large hoops on, maybe when I tell him the spec he could come up with something half decent?

If not, I'm fully prepared to sell up, I know the Vectra's a minter, FSH, just got serviced on saturday by VX, combined with the massive spec list it has + reciepts, docs & low mileage I'd like to think I could shift it easy enough :Plug:

With Jurgen, he's a busy lad at the minute, I sometimes catch him on MSN, if I haven't by the end of the week I may give him a ring on saturday, I was supposed to go up to "The Japcave" on saturday gone, but with getting the Vec serviced etc. I didn't have time :(

If this guy bites you fancy coming down with me on saturday for a look? Could possibly ring Jurgen and visit the Japcave too :cool:

Update...

Well, I spoke to the guy from Thirkells garages today (Tommy)

Said "I like the car, but I'm sure you can appreciate that I feel I've been led down to look at the car under false pretenses, i.e - You advertised the car on the internet at £1,400 cheaper than what it actually is, it's obviously been an error on someones part, not necessarily yours, but someone's and to be honest is what puts off my interest"

He then laid on the sob story saying he felt embarrassed at the mistake that had been made and offered to knock £500 off the window price, not bad I reckon but I still think he can do better :eyebrows: and not forgetting this was with just the slightest of provocation from myself, a little extra off combined with a decent warranty and an alarm will have me biting I reckon, Tax and fuel would also be contributing factors ;)

He's invited me to go down on Saturday morning when his mechanics are in and they will put it on the ramps so I can inspect the beast's belly, trying to get in touch with Chris to see if he fancies tagging along with me

Chris are you out there mate!? :search: