The mkiv Supra Owners Club

The Wickburgring!

Greenauto

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this but since I was in the Supra at the time I'm thinking its ok.

Spent this past weekend doing a lot of driving. Over 600 miles in total. Arbroath to Caithness and back with a little tom foolery along the way.

It sure as hell wasn't one of those amazing drives where there's no traffic and dry roads but it was certainly a lesson in patience and rearwheelology. Not all bad though there were a few miles where the heavens closed(stopped raining) and the stars aligned( things got out of the way).

I took the coast road from my folks place in Peterhead up to Inverness. It was always a favourite in other cars but with the heavy rain and water lying at the sides it proved to be an excercise in control and caution. Hitting one of the puddles at fairly high speed and aqua planning into almost a drift scared the crap out of me. Previous to this most of my Supra driving has been in the dry. She's a totally different animal in the wet. Needless to say I took it a fair bit more carefully on the way up after that. The journey north was fairly boring with too many cars and not enough chances to get past safely. There were a couple of megalepton sections though. Loads of rain in Caithness pretty much hindered any 'fun' up there.

The drive back down on Sunday was something the same although one section made up for the bad weather that dogged the trip.

The section from Wick down through Helmsdale and onto Brora was outstanding. The rain stopped, the road was dry and the sun even popped out. Its a fantastic bit of road, possibly more suited to something subaruesque but it was brilliant fun. There are so many bends and sweeping curves where you really have to be concentrating to get the power down smoothly. I was practising breaking early into the bends then powering out as they opened up. Superb!

I had been looking at some of the Nurbergring vids on here and if you squinted hard enough you'd almost think you were there. The weather and the road surface really helped set the scene.

A great trip, just wish the roads had been dry and traffic free the whole way.

Dave

.....Ohh must mention the two caravaners who kindley moved out the way and indicated to let me past, the bikers who overtook me then were overtaken by me(lots of waves from both parties) and the Porsche boxter owners club who were also overtaken by me and needless to say didn't wave at all :) :p