The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Review: Nur Spec RX

Shilakadaddy

Having failed my MOT a couple of weeks back due to a rather old and rusty HKS Super Dragger exhaust, I felt it was time to spend a bit of money and get something new :) I'm not a fan of loud, or even large exhausts, but other than the standard one there is little choice out there for an exhaust that is neither of those things. After looking through many different pictures of exhausts I liked the look of, then reading up on reviews to see how loud they were, I finally decided the Nur Spec RX was the way forward :cool:

I ordered a CAT-back system from Phoenix - Thanks to Mark, who had to put up with me constantly calling him as I was in a bit of a rush! I fitted it last week and overall I'm quite happy with the result...

The exhaust fitted great onto the Whifbitz decat pipe, slotting into place with no issues at all. The tip sits a little lower than I'm wanting under the bumper, but this is due to the old, and probably stretched, rubber rings holding it in place (soon to be sorted). The exhaust ground clearance underneath the car is unfortunately much worse than with the Super Dragger, and with the car's current ride height, I can see it catching on large speed bumps :(

The noise is excellent! On idle and low revs it is very quiet indeed, even compared to the Super Dragger, which is also known to be a quiet exhaust. I can't comment on how it compares to standard as I've never had a standard exhaust, but even with the decat pipe installed, you won't be bothering your neighbours when coasting past late at night :) On WOT and high revs however, its a different story :D I don't really know how to describe the sound, but its completely different to the Super Dragger. Its very raspy and aggressive, you can really hear the exhaust gas screaming down the whole pipe! Again its not overly loud, but certainly loud enough for the car in front to move out the way very quickly when you're sat behind :D

Performance wise I think it might be quite restrictive. With the Super Dragger I would normally see around 1.1 - 1.2 bar boost, and on a cold day, up to 1.3 bar. This morning on the way to work (coldish morning) the peak boost was just below 1.0 bar :( I'm going to make the bold assumption that this is due to the Nur Spec and not some other random problem thats appeared. At some point in the week I'll try removing the restrictor ring to see how high the boost goes then, and report back.

I'll get some pictures up at some point too, but the exhaust looks exactly the same as normal Nur Spec R, which everyone's seen anyway. :)

Chris

• 4 months later...

Its funny but i have just taken my Drager off for a Nur spec R...i was expecting it to be really loud but to be honest its not,compared to my veilside TI on my single which was crazy loud.it seems very low key and thats with both decats and a 1.2 bar RR,also i aint getting fuel cut????it is a lot quicker with the decat etc but the boost feels standardish??

Its funny but i have just taken my Drager off for a Nur spec R...i was expecting it to be really loud but to be honest its not,compared to my veilside TI on my single which was crazy loud.it seems very low key and thats with both decats and a 1.2 bar RR,also i aint getting fuel cut????it is a lot quicker with the decat etc but the boost feels standardish??

Bear in mind we're talking about the RX here which is not the same, the R has a removable bung. Maybe you left the bung in?

Its interesting that you are seeing this drop in boost, it still has 3" pipework and the pics dont show any real restriction.

http://www.blitz-uk.co.uk/ProductItem-2116.aspx

Supra Turbo JZA80, 2JZ-GTE

Nur Spec RX 2 piece exhaust system

Polished SUS304 stainless steel

80mm bore pipwork

114.3mm Tailpipe

Sound level 91DB

It would be good if anyone else running this system could comment.

Yep i need to get a boost gauge and see what boost it really is,i fitted a whifbitz 1st decat which is smaller then the 3" envy 2nd decat and didnt quite line up together,but a bit of drilling etc and it was fine,it might just be me :D after all my last supe was a T51R..i am also thinking the standard side mout might have seen better days.

Its interesting that you are seeing this drop in boost, it still has 3" pipework and the pics dont show any real restriction.

http://www.blitz-uk.co.uk/ProductItem-2116.aspx

Supra Turbo JZA80, 2JZ-GTE

Nur Spec RX 2 piece exhaust system

Polished SUS304 stainless steel

80mm bore pipwork

114.3mm Tailpipe

Sound level 91DB

It would be good if anyone else running this system could comment.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=138120&highlight=baffle

Look at the pictures in this thread - there HAS to be a restriction, hence lost boost. I still want to know whether the RX is just an R with a welded in baffle.

i think that pic looking down the end pipe answers your problem of dropped boost, it looks VERY restrictive and not conducive to power output at all, the dragger has a restriction right at the start where the diameter goes down to about 62mm (off memory) but the RX looks considerably smaller than that, it may be quiet(ish) but from a performance point of view i think it would be no better than stock

i think that pic looking down the end pipe answers your problem of dropped boost, it looks VERY restrictive and not conducive to power output at all, the dragger has a restriction right at the start where the diameter goes down to about 62mm (off memory) but the RX looks considerably smaller than that, it may be quiet(ish) but from a performance point of view i think it would be no better than stock

That picture of the end shows the baffle in I think, so yea that would be a restriction.