The mkiv Supra Owners Club

hmm, ticking and swealing noise

d00gzy

As the thread title suggests, i have a squealing and since this morning a ticking noise which seems to be coming from my cambelt. It has 130k on clock and it was changed at 116k. Just back from 400 mile round trip to blackpool at the weekend and this morning these noises have started, ticking and squealing gets faster when accelerator is pressed. Have a 94 auto jap import. Anyone had this prob before? shud i be worried! help my baby

it happened as soon as i started the engine, took it a spin for 15 mins and it was still there, you can hear the ticking quite well from the drivers seat. Not sure where else the noise could be coming from, sure its from the top wheels that the belt spins round. Only had a supra for 2 months so not really too clued up on them yet.

checked it over again and the ticking sound is away, it just seems to be the belt or one of the wheels making the squealing sound. doesnt sqeal when idling, but very noticable when reving. I use my car for work, think it will be ok for a few days till i get it booked in to local garage? Still sounds like its from one of the wheels on the right hand side, near the top if thats any use to anyone, no idea what these wheels do. Looks like my HKS Hipower exhaust upgrade will now be on hold .... damn!

• 2 months later...
Guest Marcus1

i have recently changed my timing belt(power enterprise)new timing belt tensioner, accessory belt(slightly larger for aftermarket balancer),new water pump and themostat,new titan harmonic balancer, lightened greddy pully kit and greddy cam gears, well after about a week i got a ticking noise that only happens when starting the car cold but goes away after about 1 minitues worth of driving, if i leave it and let it warm up on the spot with out driving the ticking noise takes about 7 minitues to go away. The cam gears are set to standard as i havent had the cash to get them adjusted on a dyno yet. when looking at the engine the sound seams to be coming from the right cam gear and just below although it hard to tell. what could make the ticking/clicking sound but disappear once warm??? its not the usual sound of injectors, this sound can be heard in the cabin straight after ignition. there is no belt slip or anything and tension on both belts is perfect.

Guest Marcus1

konio if it is a power steering pump i would buy brend new and be done with it, so does this symptom indicate power steering? now that you mention it i did have a small leak in the power steering pump that did get fixed although it does appear that the oil level is going down still, is this a worn power steering symptom( clicking /ticking on cold start) cheers

konio if it is a power steering pump i would buy brend new and be done with it, so does this symptom indicate power steering? now that you mention it i did have a small leak in the power steering pump that did get fixed although it does appear that the oil level is going down still, is this a worn power steering symptom( clicking /ticking on cold start) cheers

Your power steering pump is worn then. Oil level shouldn't go down in PS pump. Yes it is prolly PS pump, I have the same symptoms in mine.

You can change the fan belt cheaply and easily so that at least you can eradicate that as a minor problem before splashing out wads of cash unnecessarily. If its squealing its classic symptons of a worn fan belt - check it for wear; splitting, cracks, stretched, worn down etc.

Steve manley at Toyota can get you one at a discount if you mention the forum: 01865 291 333

Linda

x