Guest dansupraman

Guest dansupraman

looking at british TT with 171k on it

worst senarios what is cost of 3 major things down the line

1 auto gearbox

2 engine rebuild

3 turbo failure

many thanks..............

If condition looks OK then go for it.. is it the £3k one on autotrader? I've been tempted to buy it myself.

I'd be looking at the intercooler and radiator and for any signs of rust. Call me cynical but I reckon a lot of cars for sale have done double their stated mileage. At least some of the 100k+ cars will be genuine mileage :)

Auto boxes can be had for £100 - £200. Turbos can be had fairly cheap but UK ones would be harder to come buy, and the labour element is big I think.

Can't see much going wrong with the engine except for leaky valve stem seals which is pretty common by about 80,000 miles anyway, and just means a little bit of smoke on startup and the need to top up oil every now and then.

• 10 months later...

Have had 2 uk high mileage ones now - one done 186k and the other around 175k - both drove perfect...! Mileage (even if 250k) would not put me off if serviced properly and the car priced accordingly.

Rash

Have had 2 uk high mileage ones now - one done 186k and the other around 175k - both drove perfect...! Mileage (even if 250k) would not put me off if serviced properly and the car priced accordingly.

Rash

I wouldnt worry about a higher mileage soop providing the price really reflects it or certain major jobs have been carried out so you dont have to potentially bare the bill.

156k on mine, original engine,turbos gearbox, BPU 1.2 bar no blue smoke oil Change every 4-5 k

Now heres the bad bit, things i would look for all from personal experience= Valve stem oil seals usually around 100k, didnt show up on mine though till i went BPU and removed both cats i then started to get little puffs of blue smoke on start up and pulling away from stand still.

Wishbones front and rear look for tramlining and general sloppy suspension and handling,

Have the brakes well checked over, as today i have just had to have both front calipers replaced as they were partially seized.

Theres probably other things that will be brought to light by the other veteran soop owners but these are just the things i have experienced in the last 5 years of ownership, then again i do considerable amount of mileage in mine between 15-20k a year and it has never let me down once and left me at the side of the road. How many other cars running 400+ bhp could achieve that at these mileages.

Happy soop hunting bud.;):D

Chris

Wishbones/brakes and suspensions would be worn on cars even with 80k sue to age as well.. bonus with higher mileage cars is they've more than likely already been replaced... more than once :)

Wishbones/brakes and suspensions would be worn on cars even with 80k sue to age as well.. bonus with higher mileage cars is they've more than likely already been replaced... more than once :)

Yeah exatamundo dude mines had all wishbones done now, calipers all round and its got tein super street about 8k old so its a bit like triggers broom lol "3 new heads 4 handles but still the same broom" lol

Chris