The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Whifbitz Bonnet

Ryan.G

Ryan, we've discussed this a few times now, but I do question a little the design of that bonnet in terms of reducing AIT's.

Firstly, I would appear that it will allow some heat flow out of the bonnet while the car is at idle or in very slow moving traffic, however I fail to see how it can make a major reduction in under bonnet temps once the car is moving at say 30mph+

As we saw from out data logs with the stock bonnet and no custom venting, the AIT's stay high even after a few minutes of higher speed driving. I can't see how the tony vents on this bonnet will allow much heat to escape, especially as the vents are before the major heat source (manifold & turbo).

Wouldn't it be better to have some sort of forced air intake above the filter to allow cold air to flow directly onto the filter, rather than a tiny vent to allow a small amount of hot air out under only low speed conditions?

BTW: Not I'm not criticising the Whifbitz bonnet as it does look nice. I'm just trying to find the best solution for reducing AIT's.

The vents on the Whifbitz bonnet should create a vacume as air passes over them, thus pulling the hot air from within the engine bay area, as speed increases so should this affect.

A similar affect use to be acheived with the stock bonnet by putting spacers on the hinge bolts that raised the rear creating a gap along the windscreen area.

The vents on the Whifbitz bonnet should create a vacume as air passes over them, thus pulling the hot air from within the engine bay area, as speed increases so should this affect.

A similar affect use to be acheived with the stock bonnet by putting spacers on the hinge bolts that raised the rear creating a gap along the windscreen area.

well thats something i didnt know, nice one:)

The vents on the Whifbitz bonnet should create a vacume as air passes over them, thus pulling the hot air from within the engine bay area, as speed increases so should this affect

Damn you Wes beat me to it again

I do agree tho daryl that the vents are before the turbo and intake manifold but the vacuum created really does pull that hot air out. On mr keefs car who has a bonnet very similar when mapping his car we pulled into the petrol station and temps barely increased and then on the road they were down almost instant.

Just so you know on the way to the rolling road i was seeing around 45c at intake manifold and keefs was only like 34c.

And this is the same with charlie's car also, Both have aftermarket bonnets.

I have helped my intake temp by some advise of charlie by placing the airfilter high in the bumper and i have also put 3mm washer to raise bonnet as wes has said but still not what i would call ideal.

Ryan

Raising the rear of a bonnet is used quite often, but does bugger all at normal road speeds, due to the angle of the screen, the only way to test vents etc is with a Manometer.

Manometer?

what you get a man with a flag to sit on your bonnet at speed? wow sounds dangerous to me!!!:D

• 3 years later...