The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Newbie questions - twin turbo supra "vs" 2 door type r impreza ?

Guest jollyranchers

Guest jollyranchers

Hi Guys been lurking on here for a while, great forum!

Hoping you guys can answer some newbie questions,

Im torn between the twin turbo supra and the 2 door Subaru impreza type r

Whats the supra handling like as standard ? is it a roly poly ride and how much provoking in the dry does it take to get the back end out ?

Has anyone come from or had any dealings with the type r ?

how would the supra compare in terms of handling and straight line speed.

the supra seems to have a strong engine,but worried about the handling dont want it to bite me on the ar$se

where as most imprezas for sale seem to say rebuilt xxx miles, but the handling is supposed to be very good.

any pearls of wisdom from you guys ?

thanks in advance

The Type R is one of the ultimate classic imprezas, i was torn between these two models aswell!

As you say ALOT have been rebuilt whihc put me off, and scoobys in general were getting commone round my way so i sold mine (non turbo), and decided, right ive had a Scooby.

Brought a Supra TT6 and to be honesy with you mate its awesome car, handling is not too shabby, but yes you cant throw it around like a Scooby, but there 4 wheel drive rally cars! What do you expect!!

Is a tough choice but i think the Supra looks loads better and will goe better passed 100 leptons aswell!

Choice is yours!

bone dry roads with big sweeping bends, good tyres and decent suspension (most supras are old now and suspension is worn) theres probably nothing in it but as mentioned before tight twisty wet roads a standard supra will be well beaten every time.

Straight line speed - same goes for all jap turbo 4x4s, initially they will pull off the line quicker but by about 60-70 you'll be back in the lead and waving goodbye out of your back window.

Rolling straight line race from 60 and over the supra all day long by a noticeably big margin.

I had a play with a P1 (similar spec to Type R) and i was all over it like a rash a fairly easy kill once rolling (i.e. in the supras comfort zone) but i was BPU and as far as i knew the scooby was standard - who knows? However saying that i should imagine if any bendy roads were introduced into the equation then the tables would have been turned.

Scoobys are a little more practical i supposed cos of rear seats and bigger boot and initially cheaper for same reg car (me personally i'd have an S4 over an impreza). Looks wise down to your own opinion. Performance well depends what you want it for? horses for courses matey.