The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Spun out the supra today

turbonut

Greasy roads from drizzly rain, island, too much gas, spun it out :( Fortunately didnt wreck the front as I wasnt going too fast but front slid as much as the back making the brakes useless.

bumped up against the kerb and scraped the bumper underneath but not noticeable damage. Just had the front alignment done, hope its not fooked it up :rolleyes:

Island was on business park so no heavy traffic, thankfully :blink:

Makes me think whether its worth upgrading to UK spec brakes & discs although I'm not sure they'll clear the Fox RS5 alloys - 18" Worth it??

Linda

x

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bad luck Linda, you girl racer you :)

Sounds like you just need to take it steadier in the wet. I drive like I have miss daisy in the back of the car when its slippy and for the most part I have no issues. Although I have probably just doomed myself to have an accident now by saying that :)

Brake wise though the UK's do feel a hell of a lot better compared to the J Specs I had on before.

Oh that sucks! Glad you and the supe are ok though.

I drive too slowly in the wet but i've lost the back end slightly a few times when not paying neough attention in the wet - lethal!

I pull over and let cars past in the wet now but they wonder what the hell is going on!

yeah, even LSD wouldnt have helped. A delivery truck left a trail of diesel all over the park earlier this year :rolleyes: but its skated in the damp before though fine in the wet, if that makes sense ;) I was a bit too keen on the throttle but I usually enjoy throwing it around that island without mishap :D

Had two new front tyres fitted last week Dunlop SP9000's and the front alignment done the week before so nothing mechanical. Just me being a bit naughty :innocent:

Lx

RLTC is no substitute for a sensible driving style.

True but there are times when you might not think you need it and it'll react quicker than you ever could.

I mean, 25mph off a roundabout on drying roads is not the sort of time you think you'd be struggling for traction. Especially when the FWD and 4WD brigade have no trouble at all.

I'm glad I had it today. Let's hope you reppraise it before finding some 'diesel'.

Although it might not be in this case..

Diesel is a wonderful excuse for people sometimes... There is diesel on the roads 24/7 especially on motorways. While hitting a big patch of diesel can be 'interesting', it happens a lot more than people realize without affecting the car's direction of travel.

I would be interested to hear how many people accelerate going into corners in supra... I drive the NA which has a 2way LSD and it is skittish as hell(when driven badly), but I go slow into corners and accelerate out of the apex. Yes the back-end swings out when I bang the clutch and accelerate hard but that only happens when I'm specifically looning about.

My biggest issue with RLTC, is that people will put their faith in a box of electronics, and start to drive beyond their means. RLTC simply allows the user to push harder into corners leaving the control of the car to the RLTC. If they haven't found the limits without RLTC the sudden snap when the RLTC is past it's limit will be well beyond the correctability of most drivers.

My biggest issue with RLTC, is that people will put their faith in a box of electronics, and start to drive beyond their means. RLTC simply allows the user to push harder into corners leaving the control of the car to the RLTC. If they haven't found the limits without RLTC the sudden snap when the RLTC is past it's limit will be well beyond the correctability of most drivers.

You've actually got that wrong.

RLTC will not allow you to throw a car into a corner faster and get out safely the other side. It cannot override the laws of physics. If you enter a corner too fast and break mechanical traction you are stuffed.

What it will allow you to do is accelerate harder OUT of the corner. If brave enough (I'm not) you could plant the gas pedal into the carpet with RL having a f**king fit but it will not give you more power than you can put down safely. It will, in most cases, feed the power in better than you can.

You've actually got that wrong.

RLTC will not allow you to throw a car into a corner faster and get out safely the other side. It cannot override the laws of physics. If you enter a corner too fast and break mechanical traction you are stuffed.

What it will alow you to do is accelerate harder OUT of the corner. If brave enough (I'm not) you could plant the gas pedal into the carpet with RL having a f**king fit but it will not give you more power than you can put down safely. It will, in most cases, feed the power in better than you can.

RLTC missfires the car to remove the torque level going to the wheels.. It therefore disconnects the drivers feel from the loud pedal.

I was not referring to the laws of physics. I stated that RLTC will allow you to go in harder. IE accelerating into the corner. If the RLTC detects that there is slippage in the wheel it will missfire the engine to remove the power (much in the same way a human would lift off the pedal). By constantly using RLTC the user will be used to having the throttle at a position in excess of what is suitable for the conditions because the RLTC is artificially limiting the power.

The end-user will get used to having the pedal at a certain position expecting the RLTC to take control. As this becomes more and more common place the end-user will push harder and harder. At some point the RLTC will not be able to control the car because as you have said phyics comes into it, at this point the end-user is used to the RLTC taking control, but in this instance it is beyond it's control. The end-user might not have enough experience to feel/control this due to the RLTC constantly in the past making the driver feel better than s/he really is, experience wise.

In a nutshell, RLTC is not a solution to not being able to fully control a car.

Do you actually mean accelerating around a bend rather than into it? The thought of actually trying to go faster approaching a bend seems like the sole preserve of fools.

No, the point I'm trying to make is simple.. All these driver aids are good for what they do, HOWEVER they are driver aids and drivers must not just assume because they have X gadget that they are indestructable on the road, as well as they should be aware of the fact that the car's handling/traction/driveability limits have changed.

Think about it. Without RLTC the car is more likely to snap out sooner, but it would be slightly more gentle since the car isn't being pushed as hard, with RLTC engaged the car/rltc will assist the driver in pushing to a higher limit whether or not the driver is upto handling this higher limit is a completely different question.