The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Exporting a Supra from the UK to USA

Guest 2JZ-GTE

Hey everyone,

I was just wondering what all was required to export a Supra from the UK to the United States. I am currently looking for a RHD Supra and would like to import one since I live in the US and they're not available here in RHD form (obviously).

Anyway, I was just wondering what all I would have to do to get one "across the pond," so to speak. I would want to ship it in a container to protect it and prevent it from getting vandalized.

Does anyone know what all is required to do this in terms of costs, regulations, shipping, etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much. :cool:

Have you tried having a word with some of the various car suppliers on here, Jurgen for example, he may also be able to find you a good example.

I was going to give him a call tomorrow. I live in Kansas, and there are absolutely NO emission regulations here, so I don't suspect that would be a problem. I'm just worried about titling/insuring/tagging the car. Would they hassle me when it got into port? It would most likely come into Houston or New Orleans.

I want a RHD example because of the uniqueness of having a RHD over here. :cool:

Thanks for the help guys.

I was going to give him a call tomorrow. I live in Kansas, and there are absolutely NO emission regulations here, so I don't suspect that would be a problem. I'm just worried about titling/insuring/tagging the car. Would they hassle me when it got into port? It would most likely come into Houston or New Orleans.

I want a RHD example because of the uniqueness of having a RHD over here. :cool:

Thanks for the help guys.

I'd think very carefully about that..

Having a RHD car in a LHD country raises some serious problems..

1. Parts, Toyota US won't really stock RHD parts

2. Modified parts, you will find some of the bits aren't available due to the steering column being on the wrong side

3. There is of course the issue with overtaking, where most of the car is in the road before the driver even gets a chance to see.

Think carefully chap, it could work out to being a HUGE headache for not a lot of gain.

That's not for us to question, it's upto him.

Have you tried having a word with some of the various car suppliers on here, Jurgen for example, he may also be able to find you a good example.

It's just a question mate, thats the good thing about this forum you can ask questions. If someone In the UK specifically wanted a LHD Supra, I'd be curious why.

2. Modified parts, you will find some of the bits aren't available due to the steering column being on the wrong side

3. There is of course the issue with overtaking, where most of the car is in the road before the driver even gets a chance to see.

Think carefully chap, it could work out to being a HUGE headache for not a lot of gain.

Also, getting tickets from car park machines etc will be a real pain.

I have to just slide my thoughts in here, I drive a RHD Supra in Sweden, which is a LHD country. I've had little to no problems at all... You get used to it in a second, things like tickets, toll boots, and drive thrus aren't that big of a deal, it takes what, one minute extra? :)

Overtaking is of course an issue, but I haven't had any problems. Just wait a bit longer until you are 100% certain you can drive past. Have some patience (or always have a friend with you) and you'll be all good to go!

Good luck!

Hey everyone,

I was just wondering what all was required to export a Supra from the UK to the United States. I am currently looking for a RHD Supra and would like to import one since I live in the US and they're not available here in RHD form (obviously).

Anyway, I was just wondering what all I would have to do to get one "across the pond," so to speak. I would want to ship it in a container to protect it and prevent it from getting vandalized.

Does anyone know what all is required to do this in terms of costs, regulations, shipping, etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much. :cool:

Try giving these people a call...

http://www.rybecshipping.co.uk

They're quite well known over here for shipping classic American "Iron" to these shores, they should be able to give you some knowledge on shipping the other way, they're not likely to send their ships back to the US empty. ;)

HTH

Try giving these people a call...

http://www.rybecshipping.co.uk

They're quite well known over here for shipping classic American "Iron" to these shores, they should be able to give you some knowledge on shipping the other way, they're not likely to send their ships back to the US empty. ;)

HTH

Thank you very much. Yeah, over here I've owned several Mustang Cobras, a Camaro SS, a C4 Corvette, and a Mustang GT. I am ready for something different.

I have to ask, is seeing a Mustang, Camaro, Trans Am, or Corvette a rarity in England?

Thank you very much. Yeah, over here I've owned several Mustang Cobras, a Camaro SS, a C4 Corvette, and a Mustang GT. I am ready for something different.

I have to ask, is seeing a Mustang, Camaro, Trans Am, or Corvette a rarity in England?

decent ones are rare;) mmmmm a corvette eh swap:D

Without being silly here, and pointing out the obvious on the RHD versus LHD, why get one from the UK, why not get one direct from Japan?

Language barriers, it's cheaper to ship one from Europe to the USA since I wouldn't want to have it get to port in California, most "euro spec" cars are in better shape from what I've seen, etc.

Ahh, so are you getting a UK supra to export or a JDM supra to export?

If the latter it would possibly be best to get in touch with Jurgen to overcome the language barrier and direct ship to USA

I want to import one from England into the USA. I figured I could get it done cheaper and quicker doing it that way than going through an importer and getting it from Japan. What I really want is a Skyline, but I figured that would be harder to get done.

I will be moving to the UK for 3 years here in January. I'm in the military so I am planning on buying a supra and having them ship it back for me. I have done a lot of research on it and basically you have to meet DOT and EPA rules. I think due to the UK spec being closer to the US spec then the J spec it's a smart idea to get a UK spec. The EPA's website has some info http://www.epa.gov/otaq/imports/, and a list of Independent Commercial Importers (ICI's) that can do the necessary "modifications". Basically you have to take it to one of the ICI's and have them inspect your car, they look at a 100+ page book of rules and regs, then they fix everything. I've heard it can cost anywhere from $3,000 to $8,000. I don't know exactly what they have to change, but I've read like door reenforcement and stuff. So basically they pull your car apart, add little things here and there, remove little things here and there, and then put it back together.

I will be moving to the UK for 3 years here in January. I'm in the military so I am planning on buying a supra and having them ship it back for me. I have done a lot of research on it and basically you have to meet DOT and EPA rules. I think due to the UK spec being closer to the US spec then the J spec it's a smart idea to get a UK spec. The EPA's website has some info http://www.epa.gov/otaq/imports/, and a list of Independent Commercial Importers (ICI's) that can do the necessary "modifications". Basically you have to take it to one of the ICI's and have them inspect your car, they look at a 100+ page book of rules and regs, then they fix everything. I've heard it can cost anywhere from $3,000 to $8,000. I don't know exactly what they have to change, but I've read like door reenforcement and stuff. So basically they pull your car apart, add little things here and there, remove little things here and there, and then put it back together.

Would be interestint to see what they do exactly for that sort of money, not exactly pocket change is it and by comparison, it seems getting a car from Japan into the UK is far simpler then getting one from the UK to the US.......?????