The mkiv Supra Owners Club

HELP!!! Have left car stranded!

BASHTHEBISHOP

On my way home from work tonight and the car developed a bad squealing noise after coming off the motorway.

It was still driving ok so i continued for a mile or so but the squealing continued so i pulled over to have a look.

On popping the hood open there was coolant coming out of the overflow pipe and it was red hot.

I have checked the pipes all round and all seem ok.

I let the car cool a while (30mins) and started it up again. The squealing was there straight away. It sounds like it is coming from somewhere near the fan / belts but i cant identify it exactly.

I have left it where it is but its not in a good location and i am going to have to move it soonish.

Any ideas???

The coolant was superhot & coming out of the overflowpipe not just into the catch tank bit. Not pissing out more like steaming/fizzing out.:blink:

The crankpulley was replaced about 10k ago so i doubt its that. Belts & fan are moving.

No RAC/AA cover & it is an auto.

I am going to have to move it in the next hour or so as its in a crap area. I only need to move it about a mile further down the road but thought it better i let it cool completely.

Check to see if your water pump has seized, this would cause the squealing and the water temp to get rather hot as it would stop the flow of the water around the engine. Would be strange as it would be the first one that I have heard failing in such a manner.

As for the in car water temp gauge, it is common knowledge that these things take the piss when it comes to the "middle" mark it always sits on. My HKS gauge can read between 60-110 degrees and the standard one does fook all...

A quick update....

Went back to the car, checked and moved the belt & fan.

Started the car & could still hear a slight squeal. The battery light & the one to its right (box with 3 squiggly lines out the top) stayed lit.

Pulled off and had no power steering:blink:

Continued as i only had a mile of dual carriageway to get down to get to a secure/safe parking place i continued cautiously.

So current symptoms are:-

Slight squeal from belt/fan area

No power steering

Coolant had been spirting out of the overflow when hot. There is still a good level of coolant in the rad though- can see it at the top!

About 10k miles ago it had a new crank pulley fitted & new pipes for power steering and aircon.

I am obviously relieved the car is in a safe place but whats the diagnosis???

Loose fan belt maybe seeing as the power steering and alternator arent working and the coolant has overheated probably because the water pump is driven from this belt too. Just my guess mate but the first thing i'd be looking at.

That makes sense as the belt was loose enough for me to easily move by hand. Is it easily tightened?

Maybe your auto fanbelt adjuster has failed leaving you with a very loose fan belt hence no power steering/water pump/alternator etc working and the squealing is the fanbelt maybe ?..............im no expert just a thought ....and Please do not Tow an auto ( even in neutral ) it builds pressure up in the box and blow,s it up ( so to speak )

Good luck in getting it sorted

Cheers

-Ian-

I dont think you can tighten the belt manually. I would get a bit bar on the auto tensioner and see if you can feel any spring force if not then it may have failed. If it still feels tight then its maybe at its travel limit with a stretched belt.

I've never changed one out so not sure how much mate. Hope its just somehting simple like the belt.

Good luck.

Mike