The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Looking to purchase my first Supra soon.

Guest Beano

Hi Guys and Girls... I'm after getting myself a Supra in the near future.

I have not really decided on what spec I'd like, other than it being a manual box.

I have around 8K to spend, and like the idea of a turbo'ed Supra, but then you hear horror stories about turbo failures and the never ending repair bills. So I think to myself, maybe a N/A would be better, and they're cheaper to buy, but are they as much fun? I don't want to get a few months down the line and wish I'd bought a turbo.

Before I can buy a Supra, I have have to get a more sensible car for family stuff, but once that's out of the way, I'm going Supra hunting.

I'd like to ask those of you that have owned/driven different types of Supra....... If you had 8K to spend, what type would you buy?

One last thing......

There's a voice in my head telling me it's wrong to spend 8K on a 12 year old car. Should I take any notice of it?

Cheers.

Regards Beano.

8k would just get you a twin turbo manual supra, but a mint auto twin turbo

Or a very very mint NA but if you get a NA and race/travel in a TT model, you will regret buying one*

*general opinion from what ive read on here, Please dont flame me!

I've had a TT and now have an NA. When I had the TT I loved it - now I don't want one and the NA suits me. I did have £8K to spend when I bought my NA but because I didn't want a TT I still bought an NA.

If you're tempted by a TT then buy a TT otherwise you will regret it - and your budget will let you buy a TT. Stock TTs are not particularly unreliable. And don't rule out auto without trying one.

Wow. Fast replies there.

I have read the thread on manual V's auto, and to be honest I'd be happy with either, but the missus for some reason wants a manual. I think it's the fear of the unknown.....

Test driving a few is deffinately a sound idea.

I'd rather have a nice auto TT than a crapped out manual one.

I guess if I buy TT and find out later that a N/A would have been more suitable, I can always sell the TT and the money would get me a nice N/A and maybe some left over. :)

Thanks for the welcome and replies.

I would rather stay as close to stock as possible engine wise. I don't mind some of the more subtle after market body styling and wheels. Here's a pic of my cousin's Supra. She sold it a while back, maybe it's found it's way to one of the members here?

red_soop.jpg

that would be a modified from stock tt owner yes?

cant say ive seen that many threads about b0rked stock tt's

Eh? Jake's point was that only an NA owner would say TTs had never ending repair bills. I suggested that a stock TT owner might say the same thing - implying that only the modified TTs are the ones that tend to clock up repair bills.

I think we're agreeing unless I missed something.