The mkiv Supra Owners Club

A/c Problems

Baz018

Guest Chumpalot
No, do the diagnostic check first. You don't want to waste money getting it regassed when that may not be the problem.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?p=455082&highlight=aircon+diagn%2A#post455082

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=15431&d=1115919215

Get Kwik Fit to do it for you. If the regassing fails due to a leak, you don't pay a penny.

Get Kwik Fit to do it for you. If the regassing fails due to a leak, you don't pay a penny.

What if it fails due to a sensor issue, waste of time unless you know the system is sound in itself.

As Jake says do the aircon diagnostic first, then take it to a decent and knowledgable/reputable company for aircon leak test and refill.

Guest Chumpalot

This is true.

I live approx. .5 of a mile from my nearest Kwik Fit. Granted, they are a bunch of monkeys and I wouldn't let them touch anything other than the air con on my car (which they seemed to do a good job on). It was worth it for me I guess. Might not be for others who have to make more of an effort.

I had mine regassed yesterday off a nice fellow at work who does this on the fiddle , replaced both schrader valves for me in the L and H side then used a machine to suck all the old air out as it was empty and didn't work then he created a -1bar vacume and left it for 40 mins to check for leaks in the system then regassed and put a new die in and new pad oil , But to my disapointment found a leak when he used this special sniffer device on the L side schrader even though he'd replaced it , so i'm well pi**ed off with it as i don't know what to do know .

Sorry for the rant fellas like people are saying do the check and go get a regass i'm sure they will do all of the above to test for leaks , other than that you could get a cheap DIY regass kit off ebay but i know people frown upon these .

I know this is a specific case. But Jake's advice is spot on so any newer members should follow Jakes links.

Toyota spent millions designing diagnostic systems on their cars. Why not use them. If you are armed with the right information you are better placed to know what you are talking about and less likely to get ripped off. Aircon systems need regular use or the seals can harden and cause leaks. My car is a 1995 the air con is used every day. It needed a very small top up to restore full system for the first time this year. If the aircon has not been used for some time, there could be multiple faults.

As for Quock Fut, I would never let them touch my car, let alone work on it.