The mkiv Supra Owners Club

The sh*t just keeps coming

Matt H

Please have a look at my previous thread for background:

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=123719&highlight=have+turbofit

Well basically i spoke to Hyper this afternoon to be informed that there was a slight problem. slight as in my second turbo has blown up!

what is going on? i speak to one trader they tell me 1.4 bar is safe, i speak to CW who has just told me never take it above 1.2 bar regardless of hybrids :( - Bit rich though as CW was the chap who decatted my car only for it to run over 1.4 bar which is why it blew.

Im exhausted now. my car has just had a complete engine build. i wanted it mapping to make sure it doesnt run too lean again and blow, now my turbos have blown. Ive been messed about one way or another is seems by every trader i have let work on my car.

Spoke to Gregg at Turbofit JDP motorsport or whatever they are called who swore that the turbos that went on are the same that came off. do hyper hold any resposibility for this? or is it yet again me who has to fork out £1k's of pounds for repair due to either traders being negligent or offering me the wrong advice.

so you can see that im not happy :(

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Nicholas

did you ask them to map it to 1.4 bar? if you did you will be paying for the repair personally I'd never run stock twins at more then 1.2 bar even with a built engine and proper fuelling.

Sorry to hear of your misfortune Matt. I'd suspect it's just a set of normal J-Spec ceramics that's on it if one gave up at 1.4bar. That said, there's been a long history on here of unreliable hybrids and it seems a real minefield to get a decent and strong set. If you want reliability and extra performance over stock with not too bad a cost outlay then your best bet would be a T61 kit given you already have a piggyback and larger injectors. Unfortunately it will be you that has to foot the bill to get your car up and running again - none of the traders involved are going to accept any kind of liability.

Cheers,

Brian.

Read the posts mate, there supposed to be hybrids

it doesn't matter.

at the end of the day they mapped it to what you asked for, full stop.

if someone said, jump of a cliff and you can fly....would you do it?

EDIT: sorry if that sounded harsh, seems like you've had a lot of bad luck but as has been said i doubt anyone will take the blame for what's happened.

Bite the bullet, take it to Pheonix or Chris for a single instalment then ask IanC to map your emanage. If any of these are too busy PM as many people as you can and ask them who would they take their car to, and who the most certainly wouldn't as people seem to be a lot more honest in PM's than on the forums.

Maybe I'm misreading this, but could you clarify:

1) The turbo went during mapping?

2) The turbo was gone before they began mapping it?

Daryl, I suspect that Matt's turbo had gone long before it got to Hyper. He has been "running in" on a base map since he picked it up from TurboFit, then just recently after running it in he posted that he was not boosting beyond 1.0 bar, and was wondering whether Turbofit hadn't fitted his turbos back on, it only went into Hyper last week, and it wasn't boosting beyond 1.0 bar before that. the mapping has nothing to do with it.

Matt I'm gutted for you mate - I'd be asking Greg some serious questions, It wouldn't surprise me if they killed it when you took it back to them to allegedly map it on their final day of trade - then telling you that they couldn't do it and to take it steady on the base map.

Sounds to me like it wasn't right when they gave it back to you. :(

Mike

Daryl, I suspect that Matt's turbo had gone long before it got to Hyper. He has been "running in" on a base map since he picked it up from TurboFit, then just recently after running it in he posted that he was not boosting beyond 1.0 bar, and was wondering whether Turbofit hadn't fitted his turbos back on, it only went into Hyper last week, and it wasn't boosting beyond 1.0 bar before that. the mapping has nothing to do with it.

This was the basis I was working on, but just wanted to clarify first (before any mud slinging started towards Hyper) :)

Would he have got as far as 1.0bar on the first tubbie though? I always thought once you get to a certain pressure pre-spooling of T2 & transition happened anyway ???

Yeah I thought that that the first tubbie couldn't boost past 0.6-0.7 bar? I don't know if hybrids are capable of producing more boost, but I thought there were restrictions in the sequential system which diverted boost from the 1st tubbie to prespool

no2?

Would he have got as far as 1.0bar on the first tubbie though? I always thought once you get to a certain pressure pre-spooling of T2 & transition happened anyway ???

I *think* it depends on just how the 2nd turbo has failed. If the blades have disintegrated on the exhaust side than it should drop boost when it tries to switch to the 2nd turbo (after prespool stage).

If it's failed in some other way (like oil seals gone) then it shouldn't really affect the boost, though Matt would have noticed that as it would have been blowing blue smoke.

I have also heard of people who've done the pre spool mod getting 0.9 bar on the first turbo, so perhaps at high rpm, 1bar is possible (though I'm rather doubtfull).

Matt, can you clarify exactly what Hyper have told you with regard to the failure?