The mkiv Supra Owners Club

operation replacing the turbos

Guest mk47

my turbos gave up on me a couple weeks back and managed to source a set of replacements from ibrar.

finally today started on it and following tlicense guide its not very difficult at all.

started around 4pm today and been unbolting bits and bobs between burgers and drinks and have managed to get quite a bit done.

have now wd40'd the manifold etc and leaving it to soak before i attempt removing them tomorrow :)

heres a few pics of the progress so far

first turbo

all the bits that have been removed so far

At the same time i have got a machine polisher and will be polishing up everything in my engine bay i.e. the pipes shown above and the throttle body etc :D and fitting a fmic aswell.

cant wait to get the car back on the road its been 2 weeks but feels like forever!

Well finally cracked on with it yesterday morning, started around 10.30 and was finished for 9pm, everything is back in as it should be, had a few problems with a couple of rubber hoses splitting but replaced them just now. all thats needed now is an oil and filter change which ill be doing shortly and a rad flush. quite proud of myself actually got it all done :D

heres a few pics:

Turbo # 2 :blink:

Spot the difference:

and Guess what this is :innocent:

Should be good to drive in an hour or so once iv done the fluids :D cant wait it feels like ages since i last drove it.

the picture of your first turbo...thats the inlet side is it not?

It looks like the blades on the inlet side are quite badly damaged, as if something went through the turbo. Might be worth checking the IC pipework and inlet manifold to make sure theres nothing waiting in there to make its way in to the engine.

And the exhaust side...I dont think thats a ceramic turbine, were those hybrids?

JB

the picture of your first turbo...thats the inlet side is it not?

It looks like the blades on the inlet side are quite badly damaged, as if something went through the turbo. Might be worth checking the IC pipework and inlet manifold to make sure theres nothing waiting in there to make its way in to the engine.

And the exhaust side...I dont think thats a ceramic turbine, were those hybrids?

JB

Yes the first turbo shows the inlet side. i have checked the IC pipework etc and nothing was found, although i found bits of the blades in the exhaust and front decat..

Its definately ceramic and the blades on the first turbo are slighty broken because i broke them with a hammer just to see how weak/strong they might be.

How did they fair in your hammer test? Weak/strong?:thumbs::thumbdown:

at first i banged it against the floor with not too much force but they held out fine, and then slightly harder and they chipped. the hammer with slight force did not do much damage, but as i hit it harder the worse the damage they got.

overall id say they are quite strong so :thumbs:

If you can do it I can :D

and can you post a link to Tlicense thread in yours in case anyone does a search in future.

its actually very straight forward to do, this is the first time iv ever done mechanical work myself to this degree myself. took it out just now for a good run and to clear some of the oil out the exhaust its running sweet again. feels good to be driving a supra again.

and for reference if anybody does want to do it themself:

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=82952

Well done Maz! Bitch of a job, isn't it!?

Its not as difficult as id thought it was, was a bastard getting to some of the bolts right underneath the manifold and a few hidden ones but got there in the end :D im quite pleased