The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Somethings missing?

Big Mark

Every time I look under the bonnet of my new car I keep thinking there is something missing?

Any ideas?

It has a blitz front bumper on it that is coming off this weekend and being replaced with a standard but if there is someithng missing maybe the standard bumper won't fit properly. I know my white cable connecting block has nothing to connect to, but as I have to manually slide the cables back to lock the bonnet that is ok, for now.

I am also missing the lower wheel arch liners by the look of it.

IMG_0332.JPG

IMG_0334.JPG

IMG_0343.JPG

IMG_0344.JPG

IMG_0342.JPG

Found a part in the boot behind the spare wheel.

Though I still have 2 bolt holes with no bolt (second pic) and I still have that white block to attach to something.

Have new bonnet release cables arriving next week so hopefylly I'll be able to open and lock the bonnet without fiddling with it and so can fit the part I've just found.

Also is there a rubber part that goes over the front bolt holes that attache the bonnet?

IMG_0345.JPG

IMG_0346.JPG

Ignor the second picture bolt holes, thats normal when removing the front radiator tray.#

The plate you have found bolts into your rusty holes towards the left and right hand side.

The white bonnet release catch is relocated when then rad tray is removed. Most cable tie it to the frame.

Not a problem. I've got the paint codes and my painter is doing it next weekend. It has 3 coats. Standard toyota black as a base coat, Mipa Pheonix is the second coat (black with all the sparkly stuff in) and finally a clear laquer on top.

The laquer is off the blitz bumper anyway. JamesMark peeled a bit off with a pressure washer so I've just blasted all of it off as advised by my painter. I will get it painted in standard black and sell it.

As well as the 2 bumpers I'm also getting the rear spats area painted (the fibre glass has cracked), possibly the rear hatch if I can get the window taken out, a Greddy style front spoiler and a standard rear spoiler.

Oh, and that radiator plate, though he doesn't know about that yet. Might have my battery clamp done too if it turns up in time.

Mark that rad also looks as if it has seen better days, it looks to me as if it has a small leak perhaps :search: Are you loosing any coolant?

If you are happy with the condition I would suggest you replace the foam strip that should be in plae with the rad mate :)

Mark that rad also looks as if it has seen better days, it looks to me as if it has a small leak perhaps :search: Are you loosing any coolant?

If you are happy with the condition I would suggest you replace the foam strip that should be in plae with the rad mate :)

Only had car 2 weeks but I checked today and the coolent was a bit low.

I don't understand what you are talking about regarding a foam strip?

Only had car 2 weeks but I checked today and the coolent was a bit low.

I don't understand what you are talking about regarding a foam strip?

On a new rad from Toyota there's a foam strip that is attached to the top which when the rad is fitted seals it to the front panel to prevent any airflow going over the top of the rad and into the engine bay. If you want to replace it these two threads should help you with more details:

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=106523&highlight=foam+strip+rad

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=111352

Regarding the comment about the rad seeing better days, it was this photo of yours that caught my attention:

Stock rads have been known over time to develop a hairline crack on the front face just below the rad cap. This is due to the plastic becoming brittle, I guess beacuse of the many heat cycles the rad has had to go through over the years. You can see exactly where I mean in a photo Thorin posted up in this thread here: http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=83646 I had mine go a couple of years ago in that exact same place.

You may not be able to see it when the car is cold as the system is not yet pressurised. I suggest you make sure the rad is topped up and also the expansion bottle is also topped up to its level and then take the car for a run to get it up to temperature. When it's warmed up pop the bonnet and take a look at where the photo of Thorins showed the crack and see if there are any signs of a coolant leak. Also have a listen to see if the rad cap is making any strange noises, they also get tired over time and are worth replacing. I know it goes without saying but please do not try to remove the rad cap once the car is warmed up, been there, done that, got the scare on my arm :rolleyes: Stupid I know.

Hope all that helps Mark, please let me know how you get on :)

Cheers Burna,

Topped up fluid levels this morning, but haven't been anywhere in the car yet.

It's booked in to have the bonnet release cables changed next week so I'll get them to have a look at the radiator.

Will also pop into B&Q in the week for some draught excluder.