The mkiv Supra Owners Club

DIY Plastic spray painting

markrzs

I'm expecting a delivery soon of a pair of oem ( plastic ) spats, thing is I want to have a go at spraying them myself :)

Does anyone have any tips for me that would be useful ?

At the moment they are painted black so obviously i'll need to sand them down and prep them so anymore help would be much appreciated.

Oh almost forgot i've found a place local to me that can sort me out some appropriate colour paint the company concerned has a good reputation for colour matches.

Cheers

Mark

If they are already painted, and it is in good condition, just scotchbrite them and wipe them over with spirit wipe, not sure if gunmetal needs a colour base coat, but you should be Ok with black, once prepped, than give them three or four light coats, letting them flash off before re coat, and then give them two coats of lacquer, if you want more info give me a shout at the Brighton meet.

Do it yourself.. as others have mentioned prep is key... your base needs to be spot on perfect, something like a high build primer then rub it back a bit and put your colour on. Being metallic you will need a lacquer. Don't rush that is the main thing, let the various layers dry properly and don't be tempted to rush it.

I sprayed a FG bonnet with my old man once in black, we had a spray gun etc.....However the pains of keeping tiny bits out the paint, getting an even colouring, buying the paint and lacker and the time spent means that i saved nothing and might aswell have spent the £200 the bodyshop wanted.

And after all that the quality of spray compared to the cars paint job was no where near so i ended up cutting the bonnet back, priming it again and selling it on!. Its just not worth it, in my experience!

I sprayed a FG bonnet with my old man once in black, we had a spray gun etc.....However the pains of keeping tiny bits out the paint, getting an even colouring, buying the paint and lacker and the time spent means that i saved nothing and might aswell have spent the £200 the bodyshop wanted.

And after all that the quality of spray compared to the cars paint job was no where near so i ended up cutting the bonnet back, priming it again and selling it on!. Its just not worth it, in my experience!

:clap::clap:

patients is everything! and make sure you get a decent prep wipes and surface prep solution, as tiny bits of fluff will show up very easily.

the primer will go on really easily, your can spray unevenly and all over the place and it will still be fine, but dont let this fool you as the colour has to be put on just right. make sure that the gun properly set up ie..right pattern and paint flow, as you can end up with allot of over spray with a bad pattern, or drenching the thing with too much paint flow, causing runs and puddles etc...

I'd recomend buying allot of paint too for practicing. usually about £20/25 for 500ml, which should do you for practicing and errors.

any questions just send me a pm