The mkiv Supra Owners Club

whiffbitz bumper

dan4

i bought 2nd hand whiffbitz nosecone some while ago from Terry S. When i picked the bumper up it was primed but obviously still required. Finally got round to getting it prepped and sprayed and have now found hundreds of "blow holes" in it

Has anyone had this as i am starting to wonder if the bumper was damaged and repaired poorly as the "blow holes" would indicate air in the glue used when creating a fibre glass mould poorly???:search::search:

no this is much more severe than fish eyes, the bumper is too far away to get pic before its re prepped if it isnt already. If you imagine it looking like you firing tiny air rifle pellets at it, they are actual holes in paint rather than deep blemishes

i had one of these i baught 2nd hand off someone on ebay. it looked fine but when knightracer prepped it the fibreglass was very very thin (you could see through it) ended up being about the same ammount of money to buy a new do-luck and put that on instead as it was going to take them a whole day to prep it properly...

Does it look anything like this?

no this is much more severe than fish eyes, the bumper is too far away to get pic before its re prepped if it isnt already. If you imagine it looking like you firing tiny air rifle pellets at it, they are actual holes in paint rather than deep blemishes

Could still be silicone contamination, it does cause that kind of effect, sounds like its caught the fall out from an interior spray cleaner.

wel it had poor coat of primer sprayed on so possibility but bodyshop painter has nearly 40years experience and is adamant that its a prob with fibre glass mould

I would like to add i am not attmepting to gain anything out of this post apart from seeing if any other ppl have had same problems and it maybe helping us all?

when the body shop that re-sprayed my car prepped the fibre glass bumper they baked it for a couple of hours before spraying, the guy told me they do this to release any trapped gas in the fibre glass as the first time the car is exposed to sunlight/heat it will form bubbles and knacker the paint work, it sounds like yours was not baked