The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Just fitted my Brembo rear calipers and new disks

johnd-mkiv

After melting my rear pads to the metal and cracking both rear disks at RAF marham I had to get my arse into gear and get the Evo 8 brembo calipers fitted to my car, I ordered up some turbo groove disks sunday night, I already had some ebc redstuff pads to go in the calipers, I then done some modifications to the calipers, here are the results

imageimage

Not had a chance to try them out yet after putting the wheels back on I found both my rear wheel bearings are shagged :( as soon as I do ill post up my opinion

What sort of Mods did you do to the Calipers Dude??

Im looking at doing my brakes pretty soon, just wondering what sort of problems and costs were Involved??

Geo.

the rears werte fairly simple but the fronts needed a lot more work with brakets making and collets machined up

If I remember right the kit is designed for a car weighing less than the average Supra with smaller disks than a stock UK setup... so whethers better performing can be debated.

I agree, but they'll be better than j specs, still a 2 pot caliper same as uk spec but if smaller discs then less stopping force.

Look nice though and bet there lighter than uk calipers.

Is this the same Evo kit Supradibbs was selling?

If I remember right the kit is designed for a car weighing less than the average Supra with smaller disks than a stock UK setup... so whethers better performing can be debated.

I am running evo front disks 320mm diam, uk front disks are

325mm so in theory im loosing 2.5mm from the radius from using evo disks over uk's

On the rears im using Jspec disks 307mm uk supra 322mm again im loosing 7.5mm from the radius

in my personal opinion this is not a great deal of loss to worry about the only gain I guess would be more heat dissipation through a bigger disk, but with a loss of 2.5mm and 7.5mm will this be noticeable?

The argument with regards to the weight differences between cars I do not have any specs on the weights of either cars.

With regards to performance, my car is running just shy of 600bhp I had the chance to put them to the test last sunday this will be the front conversion not with the rears on aswell, i managed speeds of upto 185mph over several laps with no problems at all some brake fade but this did not result in a total loss in braking and they were quick to recover. I had a few laps paired up with John (pig) running the same power with a full UK brake setup would be nice to see how they were compaired to mine.

Im not trying to promote these kits, im just trying to put my side up.

I know mate, Im not ragging on them at all, and from JDM brakes they are a definate improvement :) Its all test and see anyway. Sunday was the first real testing for my new pads and disks too.

Wont the bigger disk give you more braking surface area and thus more braking power in theory? The kit you have seems to be more track orientated though due to the holes and grooves, which should be better for lots of frequent braking moments.. whereas the stock setup would be better in an emergency braking scenario due to the greater contact area.

It would also be interesting to see how the pads compare, size wise :)

Wont the bigger disk give you more braking surface area and thus more braking power in theory? The kit you have seems to be more track orientated though due to the holes and grooves, which should be better for lots of frequent braking moments.. whereas the stock setup would be better in an emergency braking scenario due to the greater contact area.

It would also be interesting to see how the pads compare, size wise :)

the size of the disk is still being covered by the same sized pad though. next time I have them apart i will measure the caliper piston size and the pad sizes aswell

Disc diameter is all about leverage, it's like stopping a bicycle wheel by it's OD, or stopping a similarly inertia laden shaft bt a drawing pin head. Long term heat dissipation is more down to vented area efficiency, air flow and caliper cooling, short term heat *acceptance* is more down to disc and pad mass. If the pad area is greater than a stock J-Spec caliper, and the pistons are the right area to keep a sensible balance then the rear set up you have created should be more resistant to fade, pad material being similar. My greatest concern is the choice of EBC pads, papier mache would probably be as good a compound :)