The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Speaker set up....

Jamesy

....took my TT to a local ICE installer today - he said i can prob squeeze in 13cm speakers in the front doors, and the same in the back.

He's wrong.

13cm isn't 6.5" though. ;)

i fitted 6.5 in the front and back. The front you need to make up the Bracket for as the old one is crap and wont hold the Speaker.

Geo.

Correct.:)

Cheers fellas....basically all 4 of mine are blown and farting - its driving me nuts!!

All i want is some half decent speakers so i can actually hear the music - i will get my sub fitted at a later date - i have no big budget for this unfiortunately but have found some great deals on ebay.

can someone please confirm that 13cm will go in the front and 6.5" will fit straight in the rear....i'm getting a tad confused!!! ;)

cheers mate - i think i'll stick to the 17cm's in the rear just to be on the safe side.

so.... just to confirm... i am getting 17cm for the back and 10cm for thre fronts as i dont have any brackets to use.... is that definately going to be ok (or am i best to try it with 13cm in the front and hope for the best!) ??? :)

I don't think you'll fit 13cm in the front - they'll certainly be pretty tight. Even 10cm are probably going to require a bracket because the stock speakers use three screws in a triangular arrangement. Nearly all standard speakers use 4 screw holes in a square arrangement. I originally went for straight 10cm replacements in the front and ended up having to make brackets out of plywood. If I'd known that up front I'd have gone straight for the proper brackets to fit 6.5 inchers (which I finally did this year with the excellent group buy brackets - thanks again Trick TT!).

If you're interested I wrote up my install here:

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=95086

Can definitely recommend going straight for the bigger speakers in front. Oh and the rears won't necessarily go straight in - again see the above write up. And having lived with 10cm in the front for quite a few months I can say there's a huge difference in overall sound with the bigger speakers, definitely worth the extra effort/cash.

Good luck!