The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Papers on the supra?

Guest mathias_h

Guest mathias_h

First of all, I would just like to say hello to all of you. New here!

I recently fell in love with the supra, and is now trying to buy my own. Earlier today I looked at one for Sale, a manuall TT ´96 . The car itself looked very nice, well taken care of, etc, etc. But there is two problems (I think).

The car is just inported from Japan, and the guy claims he didn't get any papers with it. He tells me thar the Japanese use to keep this stuff digitaly stored.

The second problem is that he claims thet it is from 1996, but in the car there is no passanger airbag (not sure about drivers airbag) and there is a electrical drivers seat (I have read on this forum that it should be airbags on the ´96, and no electrical seats). The seat rely don't worries me, he told me that he replaced it 'cos of cigaret burnmarks in the seat, which i find a reasonable explenation, but the airbags and the lack of paper worries me. What du you think?

Thanks

Guest mathias_h

Just posted on a Swedish forum, and the guys there says that I shouldent worry about the papers, use to bee like that with Japan imports.

But still, the fact that there is no airbags, and that he claims that it is a 96 yers modell worries me.

96/97 is borderline facelift. sometimes the line is vague. If it has a vvti engine and the side indicators are on the bumper and not on the wing. and it has 5 dial faces and not 3 then its facelift and should have a passenger airbag.

But the "all stored on computer" thing is bull. How come he hasnt got anything at all? not even any printouts? My car is on its 3rd uk owner still had all the import documents in japanese...

You rarely get a log book with jap imports. infact ive never seen one.

Just posted on a Swedish forum, and the guys there says that I shouldent worry about the papers, use to bee like that with Japan imports.

But still, the fact that there is no airbags, and that he claims that it is a 96 yers modell worries me.

thats bad advice....

you need jap de reg docs and translation papers (what ever country your in)..

unless you want an illegal car ?

no papers = run a mile ;)

Mathias I would ignore the advice you have been given and listen to Jurgen (he is an importer, so should know what is what). There are a lot of Supras available out there, don't take the risk.

If you can get the Frame and Model number of the car we can check what year of manufacture it is.

96/97 is borderline facelift. sometimes the line is vague. If it has a vvti engine and the side indicators are on the bumper and not on the wing. and it has 5 dial faces and not 3 then its facelift and should have a passenger airbag.
A 96/97 car couldn't have a VVTi engine, they were first fitted in 97/98 Supras.

Guest mathias_h

The seller has papers from import etc. So it is a legal car, no problems there, I was talking about logbok or reciepts from service.

I tok a photo of the model number (VIN-plate?) and that says:

Model: E-JZA80-ALFVZ

Engine: 2JZ-GTE 2997

Frame No. JZA80-0034720

Color: 199 Trim: FC20

Trans/axle: V160 B03B

Plant/Built: A22

The Encoder from this forum tells me that it is a SZ or RZ-s From 94. Where there ever built a RZ-s in 94? The car is a TT, but it would be real shady if the VIN-plate says different.

Can you help me with what this menas?

The car itself is well taken care of, in good condition, standard Wheels, Standard Exuast etc. It apears to never have been tuned. So I would actualy feel quite comfortable with bying the car as if it wasent for the fact that he tells me its a 96 and it appears to be a 94.

Thanks for the help

Guest mathias_h

Thank you Nic, very usefull information.

But the lack of airbags still worries me, according to this http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=59334

the 96 is supposed to have airbags, or have i missread?

One again, thanks for the help guys. When I drove the supra yesterday I was suprised how nice it was, Can't wait to get one of my own.

But the lack of airbags still worries me, according to this http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=59334

the 96 is supposed to have airbags, or have i missread?

Why does that worry you? The VIN number confirms it as being made in March 96.

As an early facelift it may well have some parts that were pre-facelift. It's not unheard of to see early an facelift one with pre-facelift wings.