The mkiv Supra Owners Club

engine overheating question

Guest daz 6576

Guest daz 6576

i was driving home and the engine temp went right up and i noticed this straight away so i pulled over after about 30 seconds and noticed that i was leaking water out the radiator.

i let the car cool down and filled the water right up and limped it home about a mile. i seen the temp going up again but i just got home before it reached the top.

do you think my head gasket will be ok

the temp was only really hot for about 30 seconds

anyone ?

was it the supe?

if so, why'd you have water in it?

Have you recently changed the coolant?

It might be an air lock or a dodgy thermostat, but normally overheating is indicative that something else is wrong.

I would say you are seeing coolant coming out as a result of it getting too hot rather than as a cause.

If you stopped driving it when you saw the temp going up rather than after a while of seeing the temp at the top, then I wouldn't say you've done the head gasket.

Do you have any idea why the temp would have gone up?

Guest maxspeedsupragt

:rolleyes:

Hi mate,

I would honestly say you will be fine mate. The engines are bullet proof, and from someone who has suffered overheating problems, i am sure it will be fine. Least you had the sense to stop!

If you're lucky, it could just be that your radiator cap is leaking. If it is leaking then the system will not be pressurised and the fluid will boil over at a lower temperature.

Replace the radiator cap with a good quality new one and make sure you have no air trapped in cooling system. Also when starting from cold with the rad cap removed, check that the fluid is moving when the car is rev'd to make sure the pump is working.

Good luck.

Your head gasket I doubt would have even started to sweat at that, one thing the Surpa engine is known for......strong head gaskets.

I once had mine on the motorway, driving along minding my own busines, looks at the temp gauge and its sat in the red.......seriosuly fuck knows how long it had been there, but it must have been a while. Mine was still ok after.....

So a quick trip into the red breifly, Im sure yours would be ok....:innocent: