The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Going to look at a supra tomorow, advice please :)

Holden1989

Hi Guys,

Im going to look at a supra tomorow, just need a few tips to look out for,

yes i no there is a great big long thread elsewhere but i just need a few main pointers :)

For example iv browsed this forum before and seen a few warning threads about year of car and reg plate not matching up (im absolutely useless with reg plates) :(

Plus its just been imported from japan and im worried bout buying anything dodgy, (it seems a tad to cheap to me) :blink:

Any pointers would be appreciated :)

looks standard storm blue to me.............

My advice for buying an NA auto would be to listen out for suspension noises clunks etc during a test drive.

IMO an NA auto is the least likely supra to have been thrashed or modified.............crash damage and neglect are what you are looking for.

So body wise look for unequal panel gaps and take a long hard look at the car panels for signs of respraying.

Neglect wise this is difficult as most NA's will look fine and tbh most will be at least 'ok' if they drive ok during a test drive but obviously some are better than others............under the rad cap look for signs of rust a meticulously coolant changed car won't have any. Also under the oil filler cap look inside, some brown/black staining is ok but the nearer the colour is to bare metal the better.

Also its says its a fresh import...........on these there are often Jap stickers with dates, in japanese so not helpful, but the mileage in km's is readable and can at least verify some servicing/history.........check out drivers door shut areas and front of the engine bay for these......

Also i'd go look and post up any questions you have here tomorrow even if you really like it when you see it..........one day will not make any difference its very unlikely to be sold in the meantime.

but maybe to buy it as that, bring it into the country, tax and mot it, surely they cant be making that much money on it :blink:

Car in Japan: Approx £1200 - 1600

Car in UK: £2300 - all import taxes/VAT/transportation paid.

Auction Fee: £150

Registration & Plates: £70

MOT, Fog lamp and mph read-out: £55 all-in.

Profit Margin: £1424 or 55% profit margin over original outgoings;)