The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How much bhp difference between these boost levels?

chrisavila100

Hi all,

Im due to get my, just been bpu'd, uk tt 6 back next week, and im wondering, roughly what sort of bhp increase i will see between these 3 boost settings:search:

1bar for normal driving,

1.25 for spirited drives,

1.35 on scramble mode(for when i meet that 911 turbo again)

1)So what sort of difference in bhp will i see between these 3 stages of boost?

2)And how likely am i going to blow my steel bladed uk twins, running them at 1.35bar on the once in a blue moon run?

3)Will the stock 550's be "just about up to the job" running this sort of boost?

P.s im running water injection above 1 bar!(if that helps)

Cheers for any info guys...

I ran about 1.3 bar on my UK - the turbo's didnt die. I dont know if its recomended though. I dont know if there was enough fuel as i didnt have an AFR gauge.

P.S Whats scramble mode mean?

"Scramble mode" is a button that you can set a desired boost level to, and have a "user defined" time to run that boost, then it switches back to the before setting!

how often did you run 1.3bar ?

And did you notice much difference from say, 1.1 to 1.3?

Cheers mate..

I only ever ran that. The highest i ran was 1.4 bar. However my EGT's were so high im pretty sure thats what started my endless problems.

I have heard the benefits would be minor as they are out of there effeciency after 1.2 bar.

I dont know if water injection would make a difference. Why not just turn the boost up and find out what the difference is?

I only ever ran that. The highest i ran was 1.4 bar. However my EGT's were so high im pretty sure thats what started my endless problems.

Why not just turn the boost up and find out what the difference is?

I will when i get the car back:eyebrows: i just wanted a bit of insight and info/views from guys like yourself:)

I have also just had a EGT gauge fitted, so what sort of temps should i be looking for to keep me out of trouble?

Cheers again..

please bear in mind my tech advise is best never listened to.

It depends where the probe is. Mine was in the decat pipe and i saw 950 C - at that sort of number it should go bang.

I suppose 800 is about the max.

Awaits someone with knowledge to come and help

Hi all,

Im due to get my, just been bpu'd, uk tt 6 back next week, and im wondering, roughly what sort of bhp increase i will see between these 3 boost settings:search:

1bar for normal driving,

1.25 for spirited drives,

1.35 on scramble mode(for when i meet that 911 turbo again)

1)So what sort of difference in bhp will i see between these 3 stages of boost?

1.0 -> 1.25bar 30-35bhp

1.25 -> 1.35bar 10bhp, maybe a couple more

2)And how likely am i going to blow my steel bladed uk twins, running them at 1.35bar on the once in a blue moon run?

Not very, but the possibility is always there.

Frequent oil changes now (and in the past) matter a lot.

3)Will the stock 550's be "just about up to the job" running this sort of boost?

yep

But check the AFRs anyway, your injectors are not exactly brand new anymore are they?

P.s im running water injection above 1 bar!(if that helps)

It helps avoid detonation (assuming all six cylinders share the goods)

Cheers john.. thanks for answering All my questions;)

So people must notice a big difference from 1/1.25bar!:cool:

But check the AFRs anyway,

I do not have a AFR gauge only egt/boost/oiltemp,

Can i tell what the fueling is like, by the egt's, and if so how?

your injectors are not exactly brand new anymore are they?

Nope, still on factory fitted injectors and fuel pump!(73k on clock)

Maybe thats next on the cards..

It helps avoid detonation (assuming all six cylinders share the goods)

Fitted just before throttle body.. so i presume so?

Frequent oil changes now (and in the past) matter a lot.

Since ive had the car,(4 1/2 years) its oil has been changed every 3500 miles, its regulary serviced, and very well looked after!

It had only 42k when i bought her,with FTSH, and now has 73k! she seems to be very healthy!

I hope it stays that way!!

...So people must notice a big difference from 1/1.25bar!:cool:

well at 4000rpm you get another30-40bhp, it is a noticeable push forwards - compared to stock where there is just flatness.

I do not have a AFR gauge only egt/boost/oiltemp,

Can i tell what the fueling is like, by the egt's, and if so how?

Not really, even with AFR gauge you can't tell for sure (you only see the average of all cylinders)

You'll see indications of potential fuelling issues, but nothing you can use easily

Nope, still on factory fitted injectors and fuel pump!(73k on clock)

Maybe thats next on the cards..

nah, mine have double that mileage and work perfectly fine.

The UKSpec has ample fuelling headroom.

Run a bottle of silver STP total system cleaner, it won't hurt at all (and is the only one that works!)

Remember that once you trick the fuel cut and go beyond that level, reliability has left the building. It's not a matter of IF but WHEN.

My advice would be only push it if you can afford to replace the turbo's or engine if it goes wrong, take it from me who has lost their engine from it being pushed too hard its not worth the risk sometimes ;)

Good info mate! and to be honest i cannot afford to be buying new turbos! just spent £2500 going bpu!

So i guess its best to run 1/1.05 for everyday, then 1.2/1.25 when im on a track, and racing someone;)

Cheers guys..

P.s what about egt's? what temps should get me worried?

Good info mate! and to be honest i cannot afford to be buying new turbos! just spent £2500 going bpu!

So i guess its best to run 1/1.05 for everyday, then 1.2/1.25 when im on a track, and racing someone;)

Cheers guys..

P.s what about egt's? what temps should get me worried?

Assuming your temp sensor is in the exhaust runner (pre-turbo's), then you shouldn't really be wanting to go above 900. 950 and higher I'd really start to worry as your plugs and pistons would be starting to melt.

I would stick to 1.2 bar max, but it's not my car or money ;)

Nope its not;)

And the main reason the car is with you, is because you KNOW what your talking about! (and a very honest and knowledgeable person)

So if you say 1.2! then i will be happy with that!:) )maybe the odd 1.3 though:no:

Once again chris, thanks for all the info and advice and for having the car take up space for so long!(not that your short of it;))

Really guys, taking it to chris (250miles) has been well worth it! i cannot recommend him enough!

I just hope your ready for all my questions when i pick her up:rolleyes:

Thanks again chris, and everyone else for info and parts along the way:)

P.s chris have you read my email re 4 wheel alingment..

Im thinking the next few mods will be fuel pump and Emannage!

Seem to be some good gains with a bit of tweaking on the fueling side of things;)

But this will have to wait untill next year, as the ice is next on the list..

Think i might have to start doing some overtime, 55/60 hours a week must not be enough:(