The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra, NSX, Skyline

Daston

All big well known performance car's from Japan however why does Evo see the NSX as a super car and the others as not. In my view a super car needs to be A) powerful, B) an "out of the box" design and C) something that makes people stare.

Ok so the Skyline isn't really super car looks but it does have super car performance and gadgets. The Supra has the power and the looks but is a GT car. Hang on though so do some Ferrari's and they are still classed as a super car. Well I suppose the NSX can have the title of "super car with the least amount of horses"

Whats your thoughts??

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't Clarkson sum it up best when he said of the Supra "it's a super car but it's not a supercar".

To be honest do people actually aspire to own Supras and the like? I can imagine aspiring to a Lambo or TOTR Porsche but a Supra, NSX or Skyline. I can't see it.

Didn't Clarkson sum it up best when he said of the Supra "it's a super car but it's not a supercar".

To be honest do people actually aspire to own Supras and the like? I can imagine aspiring to a Lambo or TOTR Porsche but a Supra, NSX or Skyline. I can't see it.

As a young man i aspired to have a Supra (and a lambo and a V8 muscle car :))

why does Evo see the NSX as a super car and the others as not.

Do you really care? About 90% of mag editors are numpties, who merely spout their 'educated' opinions onto some recycled paper!

They are often factually incorrect, not to mention biased to the higher price tags, unless its plainly obvious that the car is going to be a success

The stock supra beat the NSX around a track a long time ago (I think it was touge) by around a second, enough said

As a young man i aspired to have a Supra (and a lambo and a V8 muscle car :))

I certainly agree with that statement.

I would've thought that any car that can be used happily every day couldn't really qualify as a supercar, as they tend to be very reliable and easy to get on with (useable).

Supercars tend to be the opposite, but have such an appeal all of their own.

It dosnt bother me at all its just I was having a look at the Ferrari forum on piston heads and a guy was going on about getting a 355 and some other chap was going on about how he should get an NSX as its super car. I felt it was a bit of a random comparison, compairing a 380bhp V8 Ferrari with a 276bhp V6 Honda. I wouldnt say no to a NSX at all but they seem to be holding their value very well at the moment and for 20k odd I could get a Ferrari. Maybe when the new one comes out prices will drop.

yeah there is one around near me give each other the flash of the light and beep of the horn. I would love one but its the big drop in power that would annoy me. Plus I bet parts/servicing isnt that cheap as well as performance parts. I think it was Jurgan who showed that Red JGTC type NSX that looked awesome.

The NSX was a car aimed squarely at the F348, it had similar power, although less torque, less weight and was quicker. It's all aluminium, Honda lost money on every NSX it made, it was built to be the best Honda could make it- 276+ out of a 3.0 V6 in 1990 is a big deal, and like the Supra that power output should be taken with a pinch of salt.

Yes I wanted a mkiv as soon as I saw one when I was 14 years old, but I sure as hell didn't have a poster of one on my wall- and that's the definition of a supercar- would a ten year old kid have a poster of one, would he dream of owning one, is it unobtainable to all but a select few? Posters I had were the Testerossa, NSX, Countach and flat nose 911 turbo, I certainly didn't have one of a mkiii Supra.

Last time I looked, the Supra still wasn't even in Evo's "The Knowledge". I know it's not everybody's cup of tea, but looking at some of the tat in there it's quite a glaring omission!

I was also surprised when i could not find the supra in the spec section in evo mag..

It has mr2's and celica's so why not the supra:search:

It would be intresting to see what they think the stock 0-100mph time would be? (as thats the stat i like to compare:eyebrows:)

Maybe the fourm could write to them, to try and get the car included..

Pity the fool who lives their life by Clarksons words. I wanted a Supra when I saw it on Top Gear back in 1994, and when I saw one parked up at a BTTC race in the same year.

Good point about the posters but that doesnt make it any less special, desireability doesnt make the car super or not.

That and the Lambo Countach were my faves. :)