The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Single kits with internal wastegates?

Ark

Just toying with an idea here, but do any of the turbo kits currently on the market use internal wastegates? I like the idea because there is less plumbing to fix up, and no noisy screamer pipes to get you booted off track.

Oh, and with lower boost levels and lower power aspirations, don't internal wastegates allow more accurate control?

Shame.

I still think it's a bit odd that there are no kits that plumb the screamer into the downpipe out of the box.

They cost more to produce so they don't bother as there's limited take up.

It's not hard to get a section fab'd up.

Shame.

I still think it's a bit odd that there are no kits that plumb the screamer into the downpipe out of the box.

Most of the Japanese kits plumb the wastegate back into the downpipe, it's just the US kits that seem to prefer screamer pipes.

with a bellows section to handle differential expansion it shouldn't be too hard to do.

I really want to get mine plumbed into the downpipe, as the screamer pipe just causes to much attention here. Do you have any photos Chris showing an example of what you mean?

Most of the Japanese kits plumb the wastegate back into the downpipe, it's just the US kits that seem to prefer screamer pipes.

Can you elaborate on that please Nic - the usual three brands (HKS, Blitz and Greddy) all use generic photos which seem to show screamers...

Can you elaborate on that please Nic - the usual three brands (HKS, Blitz and Greddy) all use generic photos which seem to show screamers...

The HKS T04Z and T51 kits I've seen plumb the wastegate back into downpipe. Pic here, not sure which kit it is specifically, but you can see on the downpipe, the pipe coming off to connect to the wastegate.

http://www.hks-power.co.jp/products/turbo/turbinekit/waste_sp/img/waste_sp_image.jpg

I think you're right about the GReddy T78 and T88 kits, it does look like they use a screamer pipe. Blitz no longer sell a kit for the Supra.