The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Modified Air Box?

Elmo

It has been established that the stock air box is better than a bolt on induction kit as it only allows cold air to be sucked into the throttle body.

Thinking about this, would it be possible to adapt the stock air box (cut a hole in it) to accept the aftermarket induction tubing/filter, this way you are getting the best of both worlds or, would you?

This may have been done or discussed before, but without looking deeper into it I don't see why it should work.

Any thoughts?

Guest Chumpalot

I'd like to get rid of my Blitz SUS induction kit and replace it with the stock airbox too. As you say though, the piping for the FMIC gets in the way and the box would have to be heavily modified somehow.

can you not get a panel filter to go in the stock box? I cant help but think if a filter flows more air is must have less filtration though...

Yeah, I could. But I assumed that an aftermarket induction kit would give better airflow.

wheres the proof stock is better than cone .the two intakes for the stock are pants my apexi has the stock headlight feed and a 3in cold feed pipe direct from the outside straight on the filter.its shielded from the engine heat ,its more responsive especially in the cold and sounds better .so mines staying put :tongue:

So far, I have never seen any independent proper testing of any of the aftermarket filters or ANY filters……So why HKS get's slagged off above any other aftermarket filter, without any independent proper testing done on any of them, I don't know why.

I don't count hoover tests...

Does look good, sort of what I was thinking of. In your opinion is this better than stock?

Yes. And it is the "Max Air" kit Peter has posted the link to - just needs adapted a little because it's designed to fit the MAF equipped US / UK model rather than JDM Supra.

Don't get me wrong, there's really not much wrong with the OEM airbox / filter and most aftermarket cone type setups are worse - it's just IMO this setup gives me the best of both worlds.

Cheers,

Brian.

Yes. And it is the "Max Air" kit Peter has posted the link to - just needs adapted a little because it's designed to fit the MAF equipped US / UK model rather than JDM Supra.

Don't get me wrong, there's really not much wrong with the OEM airbox / filter and most aftermarket cone type setups are worse - it's just IMO this setup gives me the best of both worlds.

Cheers,

Brian.

As I said in my first post, do you think the standard air box can be modified if a hole was cut in it to make way for the induction tubing, and is there enough room inside the airbox for a cone?

Bri, is the "box" part felxible enough to be fitted, ie the back plate that goes against the turbo to intercooler pipe ir is it rigid. You saw my set up at TOTB with the Greddy style foam filter but because my intercooler pipe to my fmic doesn't quite follow the stock routeing, I'm looking fior something better than what I have and I know my stock airbox won't fit back on.

Because my car boosts better in colder air, I think I'm getting a bit of heat soak because after a bit of spirited driving it will struggle to get over 1 bar but in the cooler air of when the engine isn't hot it'll acheive 1.1bar easily.

As I said in my first post, do you think the standard air box can be modified if a hole was cut in it to make way for the induction tubing, and is there enough room inside the airbox for a cone?

Not really - you'd be better fabricating your own box.