The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Decisions decisions...

Guest Chumpalot

Guest Chumpalot

Some background for you first to set the scene...

Rewind 4 or 5 months from now. I was the proud owner of a nice 2 bedroom house. Nothing special but I was on the property ladder, had my foot in the door so to speak. Things were great, had a joint mortgage with my girlfriend (now ex).

$hit happened. We broke up and had to sell the house. I contemplated keeping it and getting a lodger in but it was better for the both of us if we just sold up and split everything 50/50. Fine with me. Less hassle that way anyway.

At that point in my life, I decided to chill for a little bit and treat myself, have some fun. Using the proceeds from the house along with a small loan I splashed out on my TT. The car has never missed a beat (well once when a hose split but...) and I've loved owning it these past few months.

Thing is, I'm 24 and now back at home. Living by other people's rules, it does my head in to be fair. Going from having absolute freedom and your own space to living in a single room having to live your life around others is hard. Yeah yeah it could be worse, I could be out on the streets but I miss my home, I miss having somewhere to roll back to at stupid 'o' clock in the morning pi$$ed out of my tree and not having to deal with the backlash I get when I miss the toilet... :sly: you know what I mean.

I certainly can't afford to maintain both a Supra and a flat/house of some sort. The money I'd get from selling the Supe would pay off loans which would free up a lot of cash each month.

Crossroads. There are 2 choices as I see it:

1 - Keep the car through the winter and sell up in spring. Hopefully it'll be easier to shift then as from what I've seen many people have had trouble selling their Supes lately :(

2 - Keep it for the next month or so, enough time to get it to how I want it looking and then sell up.

It's styled exactly how I want it. The bodywork has a few chips and blemishes in that I'd like to sort before putting it up for sale. I'd like to get it as close to 'mint' as possible to give myself the best possible chance of selling.

What do you guys think? Keep her for a little while longer or screw my sensible head on and try and get myself back on the property ladder?

Apologies for the essay.

Thoughts are welcome

Dave

Guest Chumpalot

I know I haven't had it long, but selling would feel like the right choice. The sensible choice.

Can I be arsed with sensible though?

Hmm!! Sounds like there are two types of people on here. There are some who have it all very early and then try to settle down after, the there are others who get a foundation and then have the luxuries at a later date!

I would sell the car tbh. Cars will come and go but having your own place is a massive step to stabilising your life!;)

H.

What about putting the car up for sale tentatively? ie. advertise it at an inflated price and seeing if anyone bites.

That way you'll be happy if you sell, because of the extra money (and therefore nicer pad you'll get), and be happy(ish) if you don't, because you'll still have the Supra (just have to cope with living at home).

Virtually exactly the same situation as me except i had the car and the house at the same time. Now me and the missus have split (moved out the house on monday) im using the money from the sale of the car, plus any we get from the house, as a deposit on a new place. I have moved back in with parents for the time being and am planning on buying after xmas. That way it gives me time to get my head sorted, get a bit more money saved up, and just generally chill out for a bit.

My advice would be to get another house ASAP.

Guest Chumpalot
Hmm!! Sounds like there are two types of people on here. There are some who have it all very early and then try to settle down after, the there are others who get a foundation and then have the luxuries at a later date!

I would sell the car tbh. Cars will come and go but having your own place is a massive step to stabilising your life!;)

H.

Couldn't agree more with that.

I was fortunate enough to get a mortgage when I was 22 and I guess it spoilt me a little.

You're right though, cars can come and go. In 3 years time who knows what the costs of Supras will be... :(

Guest Chumpalot
What about putting the car up for sale tentatively? ie. advertise it at an inflated price and seeing if anyone bites.

That way you'll be happy if you sell, because of the extra money (and therefore nicer pad you'll get), and be happy(ish) if you don't, because you'll still have the Supra (just have to cope with living at home).

That's a good idea mate, didn't think of that.

Could advertise it at 10k or something. I very much doubt I'd get that but if it were to sell then I'd be over the moon.

As long as it goes to a good owner.

Guest Chumpalot
Virtually exactly the same situation as me except i had the car and the house at the same time. Now me and the missus have split (moved out the house on monday) im using the money from the sale of the car, plus any we get from the house, as a deposit on a new place. I have moved back in with parents for the time being and am planning on buying after xmas. That way it gives me time to get my head sorted, get a bit more money saved up, and just generally chill out for a bit.

My advice would be to get another house ASAP.

Cheers mate.

Only warning would be that make sure you're comfortable with the fact that the value of Supras could well drop even more by next year, and you may feel like you've missed out on that extra cash you could have got by selling at the right price now.

Of course, you shouldn't really feel like this, because you deliberately priced the car to not really sell quickly, but I bet you will if you're eventually forced to sell at a lower price when you've had the car up "for sale" for 9 months or something..... :shrug:

Guest Chumpalot

I'm aware of the prices. Quite shocking really. I've only had the car a few months and prices on average seem to be falling rapidly. Though I think people are willing to pay that little bit extra if a car has been tastefully modded and well looked after. Helps if they actually like how it's been styled too.

Hi Dave, was in a very similar sitiation mate when i was considering what to do with mine. I have to get out of the rented situation sooner or later. Something had to give to enable me to still have a good life style. Cars can come and go, but they wont ultimately create a great happiness while you have them if you cant properly run and maintain them.

I would say get yourself sorted chap and then look at what 'toys' you want when you can comfortably do it

Guest Chumpalot

Thanks Stonkin. Think that's what I'm going to do. I'll get some decent shots of the car taken and put it up for sale at an 'inflated' price as Snooze suggested. Meanwhile I'll get the bodywork sorted and get it looking perfect.

Guest Chumpalot
wait till the arse falls out of the houseing market then buy somthing cheap as :)

any idea on when that's likely to happen mate.....? :search::search:

I can't see it to be honest. I think prices will level off but they'll never 'crash' as such. Just not going to happen.

its a pain in the arse mate, but i'm managing to put so much money aside each month by not having the supra. Admitedly i'm driving round in a crappy astra, but so what, it gets me from a to b and its nice for once to leave a car somewhere and not give a toss about it, never had that before. Money is being saved up now for a new car, just something a bit more sensible, most likely a 530 sport. If i can get that payed off by jan/feb next year i can then start getting a good deposit together for the end of next year.

But like you, and all of us, when is a good time to buy??

Guest Chumpalot

Exactly mate, there's never a good time to buy. You just have to take your chances and count yourself lucky if you can afford to get on in the first place.

I'm single and take home a decent (ish) wage. Even then I don't think I'd be able to afford a mortgage on my own. If I did it would be extremely tight each month. I'll see an advisor and see what they say but I'm not getting my hopes up. Otherwise it's renting for me. Perhaps with another person to enable me to save at the same time. Not sure yet.

You gotta sell it IMO.

Get yourself back on the property ladder and then save like you have never saved before so you can get another.

It really all depends what sort of lifestyle you want. :confused:

If you want your own place and to piss your money up against the wall each weekend by going on the lash then fair enough. :party:

BUT...

If you want to buy a house AND have a car then the partying will have to be in moderation. :what:

I put myself on the property ladder a short time ago and have saved hard since and bought my Supe a couple of months ago.

Now I have a great house and a great car. :ecstatic:

Guest Chumpalot

Well I certainly wouldn't be able to do both. Not at the start anyway.

Decision has been made. Car is going, sad but it's got to be done. I've had my fun with it and I'm sure it'll go to a decent owner. Will get some piccies taken and get an advert put on here and PH for starters.

H.

Three types! I bought my 1st house 10months ago, managed to keep my Supra and it owes me nothing!

Only problem i now have is any spare cash for luxuries I get goes on home improvements and getting wasted so i can take advantage of coming in a stupid o'clock, missing the toilet bowl of the new bathroom suite i put in!:D (not as much fun when i know how much grief it was laying the new floor tiles!)

I'm hoping the home improvement spending will subside after a while, last couple of big buys yet to be done is a new dining table suite (a lot more expensive than i thought for a decent one) and eventually get a new kitchen fitted :sos:.

So in the meanwhile it's pretty hard finding cash to blow on the Supra for anything other than tax, insurance and general maintanence as i now also have a 2nd car to runabout in which is cool so the Supe gets to rest most of the year!

Bit of a tough call Dave cos if you sell up and get on the ladder it will probly be a while before you get yourself another.

Then again I coudn't go back to that "Mad House" of my parents and it's great now cos I don't mind being there just visiting my mum, dad, my older bro, his fiance and there little kid (my niece) cos i know i can go home, kick back and relax in my own pad afterwards.

Whereas living there I think I was slowly going insane (niece has now hit the Terrible 2's :eek: ).

I do count myself lucky to still have my Supra, and getting on the ladder (on my own back as didn't wanna lose out if anything happened with the gf later on ;) ), but at the same time it's horrible not being able to spend much of what i earn on it! :(

Guest Chumpalot

You've done well for yourself Steve. Fair play to you.

I know what you mean about visiting folks once you've moved out. There's no pressure. You can pop round there, say hello and bugger off again whenever you feel like it.

I'm still getting the suspension and other little things sorted on the car by the way. We need 2 more people for the group buy ;)

Ive did the same as you dave, took the risk 2 years ago and brought a place with my Fiance, I was lucky like Steve that the supra was paid for so was fortunate I could keep it. I did think of selling it at first as I struggled but thought I would try and hang on and now its ok. It makes more sense to sell it as im only losing heaps of money otherwise.

Im in a similar boat to Steve, most of money goes on silly things like bills, petrol, shopping etc. I occasionally have some dissposable income to throw at the car which the ball and chain never approves off ;) but ive limited my big nights out to maybe twice a month if that, I often go down the pub after work for a quick pint but no £50-60 sessions like I used to, often have a takeaway in with the missus every now and again.

You can still do things, you just need to be carefull with your money....even doing silly things like making your own lunch everyday etc etc all helps + your stil young so salary should go up with age which makes it easier again

I figure I will make the sacrafice now and hopefully reap the rewards in later life, I know others do it the other way, I guess its upto you which way round you want to do it