The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Buying a supra - what can I expect?

jaw

Hi again, sorry if this is a stupid q- but hey, theyre the easiest to answer! Definatley gearing towards a supra now, have thunk about the issues in last post, and I thunks I'll be fine to afford to run one!

question is, what do I look for price wise? I was thinking of going for a higher mileage car, for a lower price, and ideally was after a TT. However, I keep seeing massively varying prices, and dont know what I should be aiming to spend for a TT with say 70k miles? I've seen NA's with 35k for £3000 occasionally on autotrader, and TT's as low as £3340, but then I've seen TT's for £8k+, which, as far as I can see, are the same (or very similar) spec, the cheap ones seeming to be well enough kept (lil bit of paint correction to be done etc) looking for as standard as possible as insurance is already a bit of a beating..

I wanted a manual, but it doesnt seem like that'l be affordable just yet. IDEALLY, I have a budget of 4k this month (I'll have much more to play with month after next.) What would be the lower bounds of a) a TT (auto or manual) and b) a nasp ?

Can anyone give a 0-60 time of the NA sz? can't find many details anywhere!

any info, or even clickies so I can look up mysef wouldbe great!

many thanks :)

Be careful in your price range too! There are some real pigs about!!:(

I paid 5K for a 96 NA Facelift about 6 months ago. I saw a lot of bargains on the net but in the flesh they were FUBAR!!

I would save for another month or so and increase your chances of getting a good example. The old NA - TT debate has been done to death on here too!

H.

Dont rush in and save that little extra if you can. If you want to mod the car then it maybe worth going for a modded one as you will save quite a bit as long as there decent mods done correctly.

If you find one you like take as many pics of in and outside as you can or get a link and there maybe a member near buy to have a look if its too far for you to travel or go with you as its good to have an extra set of experienced eyes.

Cheers, I'll consider that if poss! if a good condition NA can be got for 4k, I might go for that - Ideally I'd have a TT but 8k is streaching my budget to buggery, and Will eat into the money set aside for insurance - which is bad enough when you're 19! The only reason I'd need a car in a month or so is because my ins company on the current car screwed me over, and someone gave me one quote but charged another.. paying out £360 a month insuring it so need to sell up and pay insurance in full with the car..

If I was stuck with the nasp, I was tempted to go for an s type jag 3 litre instead, with similar performance (well, accelleration wise at least), so now not too sure! does the nasp handle just as well as the tt?

Depends on what you want really, jag 3l to me is completely different to a NA or TT supra....

Go test drive both and as many as you can get your hands on then decided what you want. I test drive about 4-5 different supra and it ranged from 5k to 10k and that was all TT auto three years ago. There are some really bad ones out there.

Supra may be cheap to buy but it does comes with high maintance bill and insurance and fuel cost. It rarely goes wrong it you look after it properly and looking after it properly means regular oil change and services.

Put money aside for the purchase price and budget more money on what you have to spend.

Depends on what you want really, jag 3l to me is completely different to a NA or TT supra....

Go test drive both and as many as you can get your hands on then decided what you want. I test drive about 4-5 different supra and it ranged from 5k to 10k and that was all TT auto three years ago. There are some really bad ones out there.

Supra may be cheap to buy but it does comes with high maintance bill and insurance and fuel cost. It rarely goes wrong it you look after it properly and looking after it properly means regular oil change and services.

Put money aside for the purchase price and budget more money on what you have to spend.

no doubt, I just dont know if I'd enjoy a supra without the speed. I've tried a test drive in a jag, but getting one in a supra has been a pain - people havent exactly been queueing up to give someone my age a drive in one.

Rode as passenger in a n/a but its obviously not the same. Are dealers inclined/likely to let you test drive? I havent tried one for a supra as there werent many nearby, but I wouldve thought they got a few chancers in there..

I tested drive a couple TT at dealers (not toyota, just court yard), they need to sell the car so I doubt they will give you too much hassle. In the other hand I am a private seller and I am more fussy about who can or will test drive my car.

at the end of the day you are spending money to buy the car so you should have nothing to worry about test drive, is not as if you are asking for a favor and take it for a spin on your own.

If you are tyre kicker or have no money to buy then start to worry

Im on the Hants/Surrey/Berks border.

If you need to drive a tt then e-mail me on [email protected].

The UK spec cars are a little more desirable in my opinion due to a few extra features and the fact that insurance is/should be cheaper.

I see your budget is on the lower end,however you mentioned £8000.

If you want my car for £8000,it is yours.

I have spent a reasonable amount in my ownership and the car wants for nothing.

Dont be afraid.........

Guest Chumpalot
Go up to £10k and get the Mint Black Auto that's being sold in the For Sale section at only 28,000 odd miles - that's what I'd do....... if I really had the cash :(

or he could buy mine ;)