The mkiv Supra Owners Club

45,000 miles on BPU! Still going strong!

supRo

I have now sold my Supra and I though I would report on my experience of BPU.

I bought my car at 82,000 miles (nearly 3 years ago) and sold it at just over 127,000 miles.

When I bought it, the mechanical mods were just an induction kit (:() and a rear exhaust. My Supra had the top speed limiter (112 MPH).

I modded the Supra to BPU straight away and the car has been very good to me! The only problems were a leaking Boost pressure tank when I first had the BPU mods and a dodgy coil pack clip that caused misfiring (code 14) about a year ago.

I ran the car up to 1.2 bar with occasional boost spike to 1.3 (I used high boost gain/duty).

I didn't have an AFR gauge but have used a dyno a few times to make sure everything is OK.

I always changed the oil at every 3-4 thousand miles and stuck to semi synthetic 10W 40. The car has never smoked or suffered from cold start smoke from dodgy valve stem seals. When I bought the car there was a tiny bit of oil in the intercooler pipe (which I understand is normal) and this has stayed the same. The car was still pulling as strongly as ever!

I did stick to Denso IK24 iridium spark plugs on my car as I found my car to be slightly more responsive than the copper equivalent. But Denso's are expensive and only good for 10-11K miles on my car. They have bad reputation too for breaking up! Lol!

So I have definitely enjoyed my Supra ownership! A decent car that is as quick as cars costing ten times as much and reliable!

Thanks to everyone in the forum who has helped me out and it's been great to meet loadsa good people in the meets! Thanks to the Mods who do a very good job! Cheers to Terry S who introduced me to Mark @ Phoenix who looked after my car well. And thanks to Absxxxx who helped me out quite a few times too!

Cheers,

Ro

I have now sold my Supra and I though I would report on my experience of BPU.

Really useful post, thanks.

I have very recently gone BPU, Spec as in my sig.

I got it done at Whifbitz last month.

Since then I have done over 3,000 miles all round Scotland and enjoyed every mile. I wish I had done it earlier (had the car nearly 4 years now) TOTALLY different drive now.

Having read your post I WILL be changing oil religiously.

I have NGK Iridium spark plugs, not sure how many miles these are supposed to last.

My Supe has now done 64,000 miles so based on your experience hopefully I will soar into 6 figures over the next few years with no issues (crosses fingers)

Well it's good to know they are still reliable once BPU, it was a question i asked a while ago but had no response. Was that on the origional turbos? And i'm guessing it's a j-spec due to limiter.

Yes it's a J-spec, Ceramic turbos. I have no idea if they are originals. If they are replacements then it must have been done in Japan.

When I put a blingy heat shield on, the turbos and pipework were a rusty brown! Don't know if that indicates they are very old or if thats the normal colour!

Glad you had a good ownership Ro mate ;)

I wish I could say the same for mine, but the last few months she did run perfectly! Miss her like mad still, every day. You will too sadly bud. :(

Cheers Greg.

It's a real shame mate. Will you go for one again - You'll know what kinda things to watch out for?

Really useful post, thanks.

I have very recently gone BPU, Spec as in my sig.

I got it done at Whifbitz last month.

Since then I have done over 3,000 miles all round Scotland and enjoyed every mile. I wish I had done it earlier (had the car nearly 4 years now) TOTALLY different drive now.

Having read your post I WILL be changing oil religiously.

I have NGK Iridium spark plugs, not sure how many miles these are supposed to last.

My Supe has now done 64,000 miles so based on your experience hopefully I will soar into 6 figures over the next few years with no issues (crosses fingers)

Yes - Oil change is very important and use good quality oil - There's more info in the tech section also on sparkplugs. Iridiums are very pricey. May be try the copper NGK equivalent next time and see how you get on. With my Denso Iridiums, the car became less responsive after about 10-11K miles. I think Iridiums are supposed to last much more longer but that's probably for a non modded N/A car. Also there has been cases where the Iridium spark plugs break up!

If you start with a good car and keep it maintained then there's no reason why it shouldn't serve you well

Mine did 35k miles at BPU (with proper maintenance since I owned it, full services, regular oil and filter changes, etc).

Despite a the odd minor issue during ownership the engine has been superb. Just after the single kit was fitted I got a leak down test done and it was near perfect. The turbo's themselves were in great condition with no oil leaks (and I believe are now on another members Aristo). A check with an endoscope this weekend showed all the cylinders looked like new, no signs of det problems at all (this was after 3k miles on a T67 and some serious fuelling issues).

It's still running superb now. These engine can take some serious stick, PROVIDED they are maintained and fuelled correctly.

Cheers Greg.

It's a real shame mate. Will you go for one again - You'll know what kinda things to watch out for?

I'd like to say NO and be a rebel, but I'll definitely be back in one in a year or so mate yes :) I have learnt a heck of a lot over the last year about Supras and faults to spot. The problems I had with mine, despite being damn annoying and costly I suppose can only be beneficial when I come to buying the next one.

I'll be budgeting about £12k for one sometime next year, possibly a small single and definitely off a member from the forum! No stupid fleabay purchase! ;)