The mkiv Supra Owners Club

single turbo conversion

Guest daz 6576

Guest daz 6576

im thinking of upgrading from the stock turbos to a single turbo upgrade.

any idea which is the best turbo for a big kick in power

plus how much am i looking to do this upgrade

You are looking at some serious money to do it properly (read safely to some degree)....

And what do you mean by a big kick in power... You could stuck a HUGE truck turbo on that doesn't boost fully till 6200, and then for the last 300rpm you could have 1000bhp....

It isn't as straight forward as just bolting something on. There are a lot of factors to take into account. If you look around you will see there are about as many turbo choices with difference preferences for the amount of owners almost. I'm 'currently' a fan of the GT35R for its street usability rather than all out silly power.

im after a good turbo for using on the street. i would like one which you can hear it spooling up quite loudly

Okay, here is the first problem....

You want something that you can hear?? Do you want a CD with turbo sounds for your radio instead?? Come on chap be real. These aren't toys..

ha ha i deserved that. how much is the turbo your using and were is the best place to get one from

At least you have a sense of humour. Your best bet that I would suggest is go out and ask for drives in various cars and see which you like the power of.

I know JamieP used to rave about the 4088 which isn't expensive, I personally haven't tried the GT35R yet myself, however on the few cars that have had it fitted I've liked the way the appear to respond. I'm not a huge fan of lag, and honestly don't really want silly 600+ power. It has been said a few times that a decent built 500bhp is pretty much enough for street UK use.

It is one of those things that is purely down to personal choice, if you do some searching and asking people I'm sure you will fnd the wealth of info on here.

im after a good turbo for using on the street. i would like one which you can hear it spooling up quite loudly

the t51 kai as some ppl have quoted is quite loud and has a very characteristic sound. Some ppl think it sounds like a jet-engine, but it is a rather old turbo and kicks in pretty late compared to the more modern turbos. I also believe it could be quite annoying to hear that sound after a while