The mkiv Supra Owners Club

n/a vs turbo

ivan63

has anyone got a video of a standing start race between an n/a and a turbo ? say o -100 because i was thinking it would be good for newbies like myself to watch,on paper stats really dont give the real picture. im sure a few others would be interested to see it ,im not talking santa pod stuff its to controled ,just two stock or slightly modded supras"havin a go" ,if there are two mates outthere who have one of each would be kind enough cheers!!

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

by controlled i meant not everyone can get to santa pod or the likes,as for the zoom camera on the n/a thats what i would be interested to find out!the only reason is that im seriously thinking of getting a turbo but if there is not that much difference i wouldnt bother,so its really a bit of a way to find out for myself(sussed)

I don't think there would be much point.

If you care about the difference, you shouldn't be buying an NA.

i think you have missed the point of what im saying! if i would seen a video maybe i wouldnt have bought an n/a not knowing that much about supras before(and still)

i think you have missed the point of what im saying! if i would seen a video maybe i wouldnt have bought an n/a not knowing that much about supras before(and still)

People, who buy NA thinking that it is absolutely not different from TT are plain stupid and deserve it :p

On 1/4 mile you will not have to zoom really, it will be difference of 3 seconds between both of them (wow)...

People buying NA when they want nice look, reliable engine and they do not really want to spend much money getting "modding bug". If someone is after numbers, he can check official 0-60 times and get an idea :rolleyes:

Actually, I think I entirely got the point. Apparently, you didn't get mine.

If the difference in acceleration between an NA and a turbo matters to somebody, then they should not buy an NA.

When I started looking for a Supra I had a good look and weighed up an n/a Supra would do me.... I would love the performance of the TT but settled for a newer 1998 Supe which had low miles. I do 50miles a day in general and thought i'd clock to many miles to run a TT. I love my n/a its a great car and it isn't exactly slow eithier :) So its all good... If the supra was a weekend only car i'd deffo have a TT though... so as for n/a vs turbo as Davek says not much point we know the outcome lol :)

If you want the performance to match the looks get the TT.

If however you are happy to have a seriously good looking car but arent to worried on performance get the n/a. Dont get me wrong the n/a isnt a slouch but alot of vehicles easily keep up with it nowadays due to its age.

There is nearly 2secs difference on 0-60 (especially when BPU'd) between the 2 cars, which might not sound much but i guarantee it is.

Imagine running in the 100metres final today in 12secs. The winner did 10secs...you would be 30metres behind at the finish.

When I was looking, my missus tried her best to deter me from the extra expense of the TT.

I'm so glad I didn't listen. :D

My response was "What's the point of getting 2nd best? If I'm going to get one I want to get the right one."

When I was looking, my missus tried her best to deter me from the extra expense of the TT.

I'm so glad I didn't listen. :D

My response was "What's the point of getting 2nd best? If I'm going to get one I want to get the right one."

I love "2nd best". ;)

I can't wait until I've saved enough pocket money to trade up. :p

I think there is quite a difference between the N/A and TT to be honest and it sounds like your a man that likes his BHP otherwise you wouldnt be considering a TT. Both in standard trim the TT is obviously going to be a faster car, it has about 100bhp more but the advantage of the TT is that BPU will see you close to the 400bhp mark for roughly £1300 (less if you get second hand parts) thats nearly twice the power of the N/A. Also if you are into quick cars then remember that there are plenty small hatches out there with about 200bhp, Civic type R, Clio, celica's, integra's etc that a N/A would probably be matched with. When I went to look at a supra I took a N/A for a drive and then the TT and after the drive in the TT there was no way I could buy a N/A you just get addicted to the power :D and then when you get used to it and you want more there's always BPU but the N/A cant really be modded power wise unless you slap a turbo on it, which aint cheap.

People, who buy NA thinking that it is absolutely not different from TT are plain stupid and deserve it :p

On 1/4 mile you will not have to zoom really, it will be difference of 3 seconds between both of them (wow)...

People buying NA when they want nice look, reliable engine and they do not really want to spend much money getting "modding bug". If someone is after numbers, he can check official 0-60 times and get an idea :rolleyes:

3 seconds @110MPH = 146 metres, thats quite a lot!

i have an N/A now but i used to own a mildly modified clio172 it ran 205bhp and used to be able to leave N/A supras behind, i got rid cos it was costing the earth to maintain (£600 quid labour to change a clutch). i decided to go for the N/A cos i knew if i got a TT i would endup spending a fortune on it thus making me single again lol and i have a soft spot for RX7s so if i was to spend supra TT money i would probably get an RX7

the point i was trying to get across was this ,if a potential buyer (which i was) saw a video of a tt vs na i (they ) could see how much faster the tt was in real life ,figures on paper are just that to me,if i saw a tt slaughter an n/a i might have paid the extra.i know im going to get the old yes everybody knows a turbos faster guess what! i do know ive had turbo cars before.if no one has made such a video fine who cares!!!lets stick to ive just washed my car heres some pics and nobody offer any new stuff......cheers?

From my experience N/A's have always been about the same as TT's up until 3rd gear, and even then its only when your online with two turbos that you start to make serious ground, so mid to late end of 3rd gear..........

But why someone cant give the man what he wants instead of everyone putting their point across is a little bit worrying.....

I would like to see it...........:search:

I've got this which gives you an idea with n/a v tt

click

I think that is what Ivan was looking for Mark, cheers!;)

I don't think any of the comments amount to NA bashing at all. The two cars are different in terms of performance but it depeends on whether you care or not. Fortunately, I dont....:)

H.

You will do if you are going to follow me up the Stelvio Pass.;)

Is that a sexual suggestion or a sprited drive??:D

I am worried that I may become power hungry to be honest and that's why I keep it at arms length. I also love the look of my NA. I may drop a V8 in it if there was a catastrophic failure of the engine!

The Stelvio pass is now a must on my list. I may go that way back from Le Mans next year! Bit of a detour but you only live once!!

H.

has anyone got a video of a standing start race between an n/a and a turbo ? say o -100

a decently modified TT would do it in around 11secs while a n/a (modified or not, makes no real difference) would be way more. (even a couple of seconds difference will be a LOT)

Mind you, a lot would depend on the quality of launch, and in any case it is after 100 that the TT shows it's teeth.