The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra Auto

RobSheffield

Drove an auto Supra for the first time ever yesterday, having always been a manual car type of guy.

I have to be honest and say that it was bloody lovely! Little bit confusng with all the different modes etc, and it wasnt my car so i didnt give it any major 'caning' as thats not really fair.

It felt so smooth, so well sorted, every gear just fell into place and had me smiling :D (until i had to put it onto some ramps :blink:)

The message im trying to get accross here is that you shouldnt write an auto off as being 'slow' or 'boring' or an 'old mans car'

The message im trying to get accross here is that you shouldnt write an auto off as being 'slow' or 'boring' or an 'old mans car'

Really? I might buy one now, thanks :)

People will always slate the auto without experiencing it first hand, can't say it bothers me, I have the smug knowledge that it's a great 'box, it just needs to be a bit stronger.

I'm probably one of the minority that doesn't really like the manual gearbox much though.

The auto is a great box. I remember taking my brother for a spin in my BPU auto, and he at the time worked for mercedes and so had been in mercs, AMGs etc etc. He was VERY impressed with how smooth it was, how quick it changed etc.

The manual is good in that it holds the power, but I do find it a little agricultural. Can't have it all ways I spose ;)

Before getting my TT Auto Supe i test drove both Manual and an Auto at former Supra dealer JIC, i think they were called.

Driving the manual felt clumsey and was expecting a sluggsih gear change from the Auto, on return from test drive I was sold, I wanted an Auto!:)

Great if you have a lead foot because you can just pin it, and away you go and you can divert all you attention to more important things like the road ahead instead of stirring a 6sp box.

That was however at a time when used car value prices on paper indicated Auto models were worth slightly more than a manual :blink:

At the current state of market people now appear almost unable to give their Auto's away, I guess the manuals are quite rare.

Maybe this thread will send those Auto prices through the roof eh!:tongue:

Yep my Supra is my 1st auto, never ever thought i'd own an auto! :D

Same here, I would have bet serious money four years ago that I would "never" have an auto... ever!

Having test driven a few manuals I was not convinced I liked the gear box, though I am sure like anything you'd get used to it.

I finally test drove an auto and it was SO smooth.

Now I have bpu, the engine is much more free running and if you floor the throttle the gear changes are evidenced by mere flicks on the rev counter :)

Before getting my TT Auto Supe i test drove both Manual and an Auto at former Supra dealer JIC, i think they were called.

Driving the manual felt clumsey and was expecting a sluggsih gear change from the Auto, on return from test drive I was sold, I wanted an Auto!:)

JIC is where I got mine too, I was impressed by them, sadly I assume they went bust later. My expereinece was the same as yours both there and a week earlier where we tested a couple of manuals in Wiltshire somewhere.

I got mine in Sept 04 when did you get yours?

Me and my fiance both like the auto box in the supra aswell :) I used to work in halfrauds (bow head in shame) and have driven a good number of cars and all auto's I drove felt horrible and I thought I would never ever have one but after I took my GZ for a spin I was hooked, I was amazed at how quick the box reacts and although it only has 4 gears (including OD) you would never think it, as it picks up speed so quick and still has a good top end.

Some other good points are that you can eat and drink while driving as you have a free left hand :D (or you can fondle the missus if your so inclined to do so) Like to see you manual boys do that while driving round town.

Also if you bugger the auto box you can pick one up for £300 or so, bargain.

I was under the impression they simply stopped trading due to poor health?

Yup, it was either John or Tim I think suffered severe health issues. As a company they were strong I believe, importing all sorts..aluminium, Japanese bathroom equipment and stuff.

I can honestly say that i have never been in a situation on the road,that the auto couldn't handle with aplomb.Compare in gear times with a manual and an auto in kickdown.OK for the track(how many times a year?) the manual has it.For everyday blasting and burning;an auto.:)(ps-how much is a conversion?)

Hadn't seen that before Ewen, thanks.

Changed your mind yet JB? :)

funnily enough I have. I have owned an auto and a manual supra and would swap back to a j-spec auto with no hesitation. The manual is good, but for the rare occassions when you can really use it properly its difficult to justify, especially when I sit in traffic on the M25 knowing I have an auto MR2 that I could use for the same journey.

When my UK spec eventually falls apart I will look at a VVTI Tiptronic and BPU it. Reliability and performance in a usable package.

so I agree with Rob, the autos really are a great option.

JB

Glad to hear it. :)

I made my mind up to get a tiptronic after the mag Supra Thrash article (JTuner or something).

ISTR that the one the author "would buy" was a facelift VVTi tiptronic auto so I set my sights on that.

Never did get round to test driving a manual either. ;)