The mkiv Supra Owners Club

another polishing thread - equipment.

Fargo

been a few polishing threads posted lately.

ive been having a go at doing my turbo pipes, using a finger sander with 60 grit, then good old wet n dry 240, 600 grit. then some autosol metal polish and a mop on a drill, then using blue and brown compound with the cotton mops mounted on a drill also.

the finish is pretty alright, but could be a lot better.

so was thinking of getting a bench grinder with the appropriate wheels. BUT im not sure on the right techinque/equipment needed.

ie, obvioulsy i use the mops/buffing wheels to get the end shine, but do i also use the grinder to do the initial rub down/preperation, is so what wheels should i be using..

been looking at http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/categories/search/bench-grinders-grinding-wheels

To polish ss dials to mirror finish i was sanding them down with various sandpapers up to 2000 grit and later used 3M small metal polishing pads (white Finesse It - Buffing pads) + autosol - you can get those from any automotive centre warehouse. Machine used to this operation was Porter Cable orbital polisher.

You are going to need:

something to remove the cast marks(something abrasive up to 250 grit)

a sisal mop with a grey compound called "supercut 40" this removes the abrasive marks

a white stich mop and a green compound called sovereign green, this give the first stage of shine

finally calico g with a blue compound to give the final shine.

Be warned though the bench grinder wont have a lot of power so don't use mops bigger than 4" as the grinder will just keep stopping when you apply any kind of pressure to it !

Dont forget mask goggles face protection etc

Enjoy :D

perfetc info colin,

you mention upto 250grit, then onto the supercut 40, will i not need to bother with going to up the grades of wet n dry..

This will depend on your set up and your patience ;) I have quite a powerful machine and don't use any abrasives at all-straight in with the sisal mop.

You shouldn't need to go any higher than 240 grit for the sisal mop and supercut to remove the marks from said grit however if you feel it isn't getting the marks out then go to a higher grit and have another go. There is no science to it it is trial and error :).

ahh i see, so my finger sander will be fine with 60 grit, as that does remove the casting marks, then simply onto a sisal mop with the grey bar to remove the previous scratches, then onto the first and last shines.

a kit like the 26pc (2nd from last) from here would be perfect then. http://www.merlinabrasives.com/polishingkits.html

@ neil, that sure is shiny man.

ahh i see, so my finger sander will be fine with 60 grit, as that does remove the casting marks, then simply onto a sisal mop with the grey bar to remove the previous scratches, then onto the first and last shines.

a kit like the 26pc (2nd from last) from here would be perfect then. http://www.merlinabrasives.com/polishingkits.html

@ neil, that sure is shiny man.

you will still need to work up the grits to 240 grit so 60 - 120 - 240 then sisal.

I wouldn't bother with that kit personally, those abrasive compounds that you apply and leave to set do not last very long then you have to leave them and let them set again. you are better off with flap wheels and other tools in my mind.

ok cool,

wasnt aware that the kit i mentioned had to leave the compounds to set.

you know what you should add to yoru site Col, kits for those that want to have a go themselves.

also out of interest what wattage is yoru grinder..

ok cool,

wasnt aware that the kit i mentioned had to leave the compounds to set.

you know what you should add to yoru site Col, kits for those that want to have a go themselves.

also out of interest what wattage is yoru grinder..

The abrasive compounds in that klit need to be applied then left to set. they also need to bhe wrapped really well or they go hard as a rock very quickly.

i don't have a bench grinder i have a dedicated polishing machine, it is designed to be run all the time and not overheat, it is 1.2 hp. That is about as powerful as you can get with single phase power supply. If you go to three phase they go up to silly levels 10 hp + but thats for serious industrial use with giant mops, i sue an 8 " mop most of the time.

That website you linked to is supllied by my supplier, the same with the guy on e bay.

I could supply what you need but i don't go to the polishing shop that often to pick up supplies, so it doesn't normally fit in with when people need the kit although i will be going next week sometime.

right just borrowed an 8" single phase 3krpm Wolf grinder, think its 1hp.

Colin, would be appreciated if i could purchase what i need from yourself, let me know the cost and i can paypal.

will you be supplying the mops for the grinder?

27082007187.jpg

right just borrowed an 8" single phase 3krpm Wolf grinder, think its 1hp.

Colin, would be appreciated if i could purchase what i need from yourself, let me know the cost and i can paypal.

will you be supplying the mops for the grinder?

I can do if you like, if you give me an idea of what you are attempting to polish we can go from there. do you have the tapered spindle to fit over the grinders shaft to allow you to use mops ?