The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Have been quoted for some work and need your opinions

Guest Chumpalot

Guest Chumpalot

Went to a local bodyshop today to take a look at some of their work, looked very good and the quality of some of the cars I saw were excellent.

Had a quote for the following work:

Respray;

N/S door

N/S skirt

N/S front wing

N/S rear wing

Bonnet

O/S skirt

Included in the quote were a few touchups to the rear spoiler and other bits and bobs. Also a full mop and polish afterwards.

£1200.

Steep?

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Good price IMO. *Some* bodyshops would do a full respray for roughly that price, but you'd be better not bothering for a cheap job as the results are unlikely to be great. Any filling work required/damage repair, or just a case of renewing the glossy?

However, you the panels really need respraying? If one or two of them have a few scratches/distinguished marks on them, it might be best getting out a dent/scratch repair mobile shop mate like Autorestore. My local dent master charged £70 for a panel respray after my bro clipped the rear quarter with his chainsaw. It came out perfect.

I guess if you like the look of their work, then it's only steep if it's more than you're willing to pay.

I'm very happy with the paintwork I had on my car. For the Supra that was both front wings, bonnet front bumper, and part of one skirt : £500 (plus VAT). I'd say that's maybe slightly less than you had done - but not enough to justify the price difference.

The same place did my 964 - rear bumper, spoiler, roof and a few other bits - again, £500 plus VAT.

Guest Chumpalot
Good price IMO. *Some* bodyshops would do a full respray for roughly that price, but you'd be better not bothering for a cheap job as the results are unlikely to be great. Any filling work required/damage repair, or just a case of renewing the glossy?

However, you the panels really need respraying? If one or two of them have a few scratches/distinguished marks on them, it might be best getting out a dent/scratch repair mobile shop mate like Autorestore. My local dent master charged £70 for a panel respray after my bro clipped the rear quarter with his chainsaw. It came out perfect.

I did consider this, but the panels could really do with a respray to be honest. I think there may have been work done on the car before as you can clearly see lines in the paint where one coat stops and another has begun. Plus it would look like new again which I'd obviously prefer.

Thanks for your input :thumbs:

Guest Chumpalot
I guess if you like the look of their work, then it's only steep if it's more than you're willing to pay.

I'm very happy with the paintwork I had on my car. For the Supra that was both front wings, bonnet front bumper, and part of one skirt : £500 (plus VAT). I'd say that's maybe slightly less than you had done - but not enough to justify the price difference.

The same place did my 964 - rear bumper, spoiler, roof and a few other bits - again, £500 plus VAT.

This is the thing. I dont mind paying over the odds if it means it's perfect and I don't have to go there again to get bits redone.

Whats the saying? Pay cheap pay twice or something?

Worth a shot mate, and yes that's the saying! iF you've seen other work and you're happy with it, then you have a guarantee that yours should be of the same standard. If it isn't, well you have paid your dosh and should ask them to rectify it accordingly.

Guest Chumpalot

Good thing about this place is its just round the corner from me so no long trips anywhere.

Going to claim my bank charges back and see how much I get :D

as people have said you get what you pay for, the cost depends alot on any repair work needed, if the panels are clean i work on around 150 a panel for club members. expect to pay more than this from alot of bodyshops though as 150 a panel is around cost price for me

as people have said you get what you pay for, the cost depends alot on any repair work needed, if the panels are clean i work on around 150 a panel for club members. expect to pay more than this from alot of bodyshops though as 150 a panel is around cost price for me

How much for a clean up and blowover in the same colour out of interest.... I'm debating doing it

a) do it all myself (As the car isn't a main car just the daily driver)

b) prep it myself and then get someone to spray it

c) Get it all done by someone...