The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Toyota refuse to service my car.

The Raven

As the title said,

I took in my N/A to get a quote on some simple work. The main dealer informs me "we dont do imports" when i pushed him a bit more he claims "they have a different lay out and we dont know how to fix them"

I told him a Mr clutch had already given me a qoute for the work again he refused.

My only joy was getting him to admit in a packed show room that a local garage could and would work on a toyota car when toyota themselves didnt know how.

Is this a standard toyota policy? or are my dealers mugging me off?

Get someone else to fix it they charge about £75 + an hour labour .i asked my local

toyota dealer a few years ago for a price to fix something ,they said oh its an import i cant give you a price .twat

I can't believe that he called you a twat too Snake!! ;)

H.

Its not toyota who dont do them, its that franchise of Toyota. Remember although they have the name 'toyota' some are indepdently owned and therefore have an owner as such and may decide to stick to UK cars only. Out local toyota is 'westover toyota' for instance which is part of the westover group.

Same with Burger king and mcdonalds franchise :D

As whitesupraboy said, it is really down to the garage whether or not they want to take the work on.

Toyota have not said that you cannot take an import to a UK garage, it is simply the policy of each franchise.

They are independent garages at the end of the day so have the right to turn down whatever work they want to.

Anyway....

The labour charges of a dealership is going to be far more than the guy down the road.

I only take mine to places that have knowledge of Supras. It's as simple as that.

Got ya, didnt know it worked like that i always thought a toyota main agent was just that and therefore covered by some kind of agreement with other main agents. The fact i was told "its a company policy" and then lied to that they simply didnt know how to fix it didnt help.

Im still sending off the letter might not get anywhere but it will make me feel better.

Is this a standard toyota policy? or are my dealers mugging me off?

So did you manage to find a local garage to do the work, I would like to know the out come of your letter, that you write to Toyota Head Office.

The only Toyota Dealership Group that is owned directly by Toyota and not a franchisee is Jemca. Could be worth doing a google search and seeing if there is one locally to you. I do know Jemca, is owned directly by Toyota UK. The level of service is much better than any Toyota franchise dealer, they literally bend over backwards for you.

Its also worth pointing out in the letter, at a hello of a lot of manufacturers are let down by shabby service from franchisee dealer networks. Its funny when you go to a motor show and go onto any stand, the manufacturer is bending over backwards to get you attention, but when at the dealer its some times a completely different story. :( Mercedes Benz, Peugeot & Fiat Spring to Mind.....so very heated experiences!! :(

Like i said in the first post i took great delight in making said asshole admit that even a local garage could do the jobs, and them being toyota dont know how to. I made a point of saying its a toyota car, and you dont know how to fix it a good few times after that. With anyluck cost him a few car sales that day.

I found a number of local people willing to do the jobs i wanted done. One of which i think likes working on the supra.

His list of work for me inc Cam belt and N/A plugs so im sorted as far as that goes.

I took my removed and stripped rear hub (mine has optional UK brakes on it) for them to press a new bearing in.

All was going well til they found out it was an import, and refused to even pick it up!

Fortunately our local service manager is quite clued up and pointed out that import or not, if it had UK type brakes it would be the same!

I reckon a lot of it comes from them not doing a certain model over here, for example the MR2 turbo. The UK supras are a bit different, and they get them in now and again, so chances are they wont be experts, and the thought of a car that wont match their book times is enough to put them off!

We get a fair number of Import as well as UK Spec cars through our workshop (not TOYOTA), they seem quite popular because of the savings to be had over UK's and just the fact a few owners being international businessmen and what not get there cars looked at whilst over here.

Usually LHD's Imports depending on where they were sourced.

They can be a PITA sometimes with their variations in specification, usually electrical stuff. Different alarms systems and different frequencies used on remotes and garage door openers to over here due to legislations in differing countries, differing wiring looms/diagrams, software issues when using our diagnostic equipment and different coding specifications/parameters for the numerous control units found on the more modern vehicles.

Sometimes emmission and mapping related issues due to the original intended country of origin.

The work still gets taken on, after all we are a main dealer.

The fact that they're turning down work suprises me and if there was anything they were unfamiliar with who would be in a better position to source technical info than a Toyota dealer, afterall if OE parts are needed you don't go and pick them up from Halfords.

:)