The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra's Really Are Getting Cheap!!!

Guest Geneb

Just talking to one of the local young lads in witney last night, he's 21 and Hydro-locked his N/A in the floods last month.

Well he has just bought a 6speed TT from bolton for £7000

and apart from the headlights needing a refurb the car is really tidy and sounds sweet.

NOW TELL ME THE ARSE AIN'T FALLING OUT OF THE SUPRA MARKET.:search:

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just talking to one of the local young lads in witney last night, he's 21 and Hydro-locked his N/A in the floods last month.

and apart from the headlights needing a refurb the car is really tidy and sounds sweet.

Too many imports in the country and the cars getting on in years = lower prices :(

The average age of supras seems to be around 13 years old so the mileage is bound to be creeping up. Personnaly I wouldn't want to pay 7k+ for a car with over 100k on it, especially a tuned beast like a TT. The likelyhood of stuff failing has got to be higher.

I've been wondering about getting a newer car (mine's M reg) and thinking a maximum spend of about 12k, I've looked at loads and nothing comes close to the supra so I'll probably just get a newer NA with really low miles.

Well an importer gave me a price on getting a Aero imported.

These he claims are on the road prices.

From

N/A Auto £3000

N/A Manuel £4000

TT £8000

Ive emailed back asking all the details and such, but if prices are like that in japan then the prices here will fall. Maybe someone in the know can shed some light

From

N/A Auto £3000

N/A Manuel £4000

TT £8000

Ive emailed back asking all the details and such, but if prices are like that in japan then the prices here will fall. Maybe someone in the know can shed some light

Err, you can find prices like that on Autotrader all day long.

N/A autos 3 - 4k, na manuals, 3 - 4k.

TT autos, 5.5 - 9k

TT manuals, 7 - 10k

Well if everyone keeps importing them then the prices of those already here will keep dropping, its not rocket science.

Just think what a uk spec mkiv would be worth if there were no or very few imports.

Its a simple case of supply and demand, supply has far outgrown demand hence prices drop, unless youve got something a bit special or say a uk car with v low mileage then its life and we just have to live with it.

Could be worse if you bought an Aston Martin brand new :D or an Alfa Romeo :D

Well if everyone keeps importing them then the prices of those already here will keep dropping, its not rocket science.

Just think what a uk spec mkiv would be worth if there were no or very few imports.

Its a simple case of supply and demand, supply has far outgrown demand hence prices drop, unless youve got something a bit special or say a uk car with v low mileage then its life and we just have to live with it.

Yep. I've said it before and I'll say it again.. there's nothing "fresh" about a fresh import. Buying one is just ruining the resale values.

It's a used car the same as any used car bought from a UK seller. Less verifiable history no doubt. Unless somebody really needs/wants a specific spec that's not already over here, then IMO they shouldn't have another one brought over.

Having said that the importers will still import them whether there's a buyer waiting or not I suppose. Hmmm.

Yep. I've said it before and I'll say it again.. there's nothing "fresh" about a fresh import. Buying one is just ruining the resale values.

It's a used car the same as any used car bought from a UK seller. Less verifiable history no doubt. Unless somebody really needs/wants a specific spec that's not already over here, then IMO they shouldn't have another one brought over.

Having said that the importers will still import them whether there's a buyer waiting or not I suppose. Hmmm.

The thing is importers arent really bothered about our residual values just there proffit.

Im thinking its time to get out now while my cars still worth the busfare home :(

From

N/A Auto £3000

N/A Manuel £4000

TT £8000

NA Manual Aerotop? Do they exist?!

I am in the process of hunting and getting a auto TT imported, with a budget of £7000 inc import fee's and expense's, the cars are nearly 15 years there bound to be cheap, all this means is that eventually there will be less of them on the road as young drivers are going to buy them and write them off with in a week... guess insurance will go up though.

Guest Nicholas

Every month you bring this up, do us all a favour and sell your car :)

I will give 3k for it.:D

As for the Aero N/A Manuel hence why he got mailed back. I still think 3k for an N/A Aero or not imported with a "on the road price" of 3k is cheap on the road says to me MOT , TAX underseal fog light ect. Dont forget these boys are making money from this. So just how cheap are they selling in japan for?

Or a Fiesta 1.8!! In the Metro Paper today, it said the top vehicle for depreciation was the Fiesta that depreciated 48% in its first year!!

That's a serious hit on the investment front. Why on earth would you buy new!

I dont think posts like this really help people like myself trying to sell our Supes.

The more people bitch and moan about prices the cheaper they'll get and the cheaper people will put them up for sale for because of the fear of not selling it at a decent price!

I dont think posts like this really help people like myself trying to sell our Supes.

The more people bitch and moan about prices the cheaper they'll get and the cheaper people will put them up for sale for because of the fear of not selling it at a decent price!

:lol: That's already happened. Where've you been ? I mean FFS, students are owning them now. God knows how they can afford to buy one, run one & pay for their tuition fees. Oooohhh of course! Silly me - usually mummy & daddy are bank rolling them.

The main reasons why people are selling up - making Supras so cheap to buy are :

a) Cost of fuel

b) Insurance

c) Influx of Supras being imported

d) Young doooods buy them - then find out how costly they are to run. Then sell them quickly. I used to know a chap who was 19, owned a hideous blue Veilside NA. His insurance 2yrs ago was costing him just over £2500 from memory. He sold it after 8 months of ownership.

Looking at it another way, supras are cheap becuase there are a lot of 'old' ie, 93, 94, 95 cars about. Not many people are going to pay a lot for the age of car.

Why are so many old ones about? Must be because they are reliable and rust free cars so that can only be a good thing to the enthusiast. So what if they are cheap, spreads the goodness and a enthusiast wouldn't worry about sale price (IMO).

I sold my prelude to get the supra, I see loads of supras now and only saw 3 or 4 4th gen ludes in my 8 months of ownership. Why? Becuase they rust. They are not a good long term bet whereas the supras are.

Looking at it another way, supras are cheap becuase there are a lot of 'old' ie, 93, 94, 95 cars about. Not many people are going to pay a lot for the age of car.

Why are so many old ones about? Must be because they are reliable and rust free cars so that can only be a good thing to the enthusiast.

Hmmmm ... suspension, shocks, turbos don't last forever. Ian C has just have to replace suspension. Cost circa £1500 just for the bits.

C'mon! Like anything mechanical it wears out! :rolleyes:

Hmmmm ... suspension, shocks, turbos don't last forever. Ian C has just have to replace suspension. Cost circa £1500 just for the bits.

C'mon! Like anything mechanical it wears out! :rolleyes:

Are you saying you think Supras are still overpriced at current levels then? They seem pretty reliable and superb value for money to me but maybe I'm just lucky and I'm a noob owner anyway!

Are you saying you think Supras are still overpriced at current levels then? They seem pretty reliable and superb value for money to me but maybe I'm just lucky and I'm a noob owner anyway!

93 - 94 TTs I would pay no more between £7500 - £9k max. A 98-2002 vvti - perhaps £14-£17k.