The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supercharger finally spinning

Shane

After a couple of wasted days taken off work to get the supercharger sorted out....I finally had it spinning a short while ago.

On Monday I discovered that my bits of string I had used to measure what length of belts I required had been too short and consequently both belts had also been too short. This was a stupid rookie mistake on my part, I had underestimated how much the string had stretched under tension. Anyhow an expensive mistake but not a train smash, so I ordered some replacements on Monday and paid for next day delivery, one of them came yesterday morning and the other never arrived. I have been on the phone to both the supplier and the courier all day and eventually did a round trip of 30 miles or so this evening to collect them from the depot.

Note to self: never use "Business Post".

After all this I finally got it belted up this evening just as it was getting dark, with no pipework connected I started the engine and mate does it sound the donkey's cahoonas or what.

Need a little machine work on one of pulleys and this will be done while I am away for the next few days and then the mechanical side of things is complete.:)

Very very happy with how it worked out today and especially the sound. Obviously with the ports not connected it is louder than it will be in normal operation, but still it will sound very nice I am sure.

Getting very very close now, watch this space! Am going on a short roadtrip holiday to romania tomorrow and it's been planned for a while so cant pull out, but really wish I was staying here now to finish what I have left to do on the car now.

As soon as I get back from hols next week will take some more pics and post, but to be honest it dont look a lot different to how it did in the last pics, it just has the belts and pulleys in place now. Will see about getting a soundclip and posting it up. I have to be at Dover for 1130 tomorrow so I am not going to get time before I leave, sorry.

Guigsy, will send you a pm when I get back and we can work something out.

On Monday I discovered that my bits of string I had used to measure what length of belts I required had been too short

I'm really interested in how this turns out - but for some reason, that part of your description really made me laugh! :D

I'm really interested in how this turns out - but for some reason, that part of your description really made me laugh! :D

Ha ha, yes I suppose it does sound more than a bit iffy. One of the biggest issues is how to belt it up and drive the thing. If I do another I wouldn't do it the same. I have learned a lot on this one but without having a new extension shaft turned up it is too late to do it differently, but it seems to be ok as it is anyhow. The string bit happened as I need to measure the length of the new drive belts and basically used a bit of string around the pulleys in the same way as the belt. But I hadnt realised how much the string had stretched when it was on. The measurement I then took with the belt off was miles out. But I accept it sounds right dodgy.:)

Got back from my hols earlier today and after a bit of sleep I couldn't wait to do this.

http://s137.photobucket.com/albums/q220/shaneg7ewl/Eaton%20Supercharger1/?action=view&current=DSCF0291.flv

Bear in mind that the engine is fast idling as it had only just been started in a week. Also as you can see there is nothing connected to the throttle housing so you can really hear the induction noise as well as the supercharger whine.

Wow, that is brilliant mate, top man for trying this. The supercharger certainly does whine!!! i hope to see some vids of it on the road asap.

Sure does, but once it's connected up it won't sound as loud, as you can see it's blowing out straight to the atmosphere at the moment so it's not contained at all. But at least it's spinning at last and I have the day off tomorrow so I should get loads more done:)

Thats good then, when will you be planning on it being finished.

I would love to say by the end of September, but with my job and family it could be a while longer. I was hoping to have it all up and running buy May but always juggling time, money and priorities. Luckily I do have another daily driver, although I lost 1st on this on my way back from Romania yesterday. I hope and think it is just a linkage problem though. But you see this the sort of thing that diverts me from spending the time I need to in order to get it completed.

Also still having dillemas about which ECU route to take.

I would love to say by the end of September, but with my job and family it could be a while longer. I was hoping to have it all up and running buy May but always juggling time, money and priorities. Luckily I do have another daily driver, although I lost 1st on this on my way back from Romania yesterday. I hope and think it is just a linkage problem though. But you see this the sort of thing that diverts me from spending the time I need to in order to get it completed.

God yeah, im the same.

Set aside time to work on my car and something breaks on my other car!

Also still having dillemas about which ECU route to take.

What are the ones you are considering, perhaps a post in tech may help you, might get you some answers from those in the know :)

i think an safc II would do the job wont it as iirc you are running low boost with standard HG etc etc??

Yes, for now I may go this route, I have spoken to another member who went NA-T but used a MAP sensor from a turbo car to give a bit more tuning range than when the stock NA MAP sensor is used which doesn't like boost.