The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Tyre sizes...

SupraGirlie

I'm a bit confused I am trying to order some wheels and tyres at the moment and have rung 3 companies to get the best price, and the first said I need 235 and 255's, the 2nd said definatly not I need 225 and 255 or 235 and 265 and the 3rd now says I will need 225/40 and 265/35, who is correct please??!!

OK its to do with how deep the tyre is on the sidewall. A 235 35 18 is a lower profile than a 235 40 18. This means that the tyre sidewall (the bit you see with all the writing on it) is higher 0n the 40 than the 35. This in real terms means you have more air between you and the road on a 40 profile tyre than on a 35 which makes for more comfort on the 40 profile than the 35. You can use either profile tyre in the same place as long as the bigger 40 profile tyre fits in the wheel well. IE if the 40 profile tyre has a bigger sidewall its going to have a bigger actual diameter to the tune of about 3/4 inch on a 235 tyre. The 35 profile tyre has less air between you and the road so it improves handling to a degree at the cost of comfort.

A 40 profile tyre on a 235 front 18 inch wheel should fit no problems and the general look of the wheel/tyre combination is about the best (too big the wheel looks too small too small and it looks like you have a rubber band on the wheel)

A 35 profile tyre on a 265 rear 18 inch wheel will fit no problems and again looks right.

http://www.tyresave.co.uk/tyresize.html

have a look on there and maybe that will explain it a bit better. But in a nutshell you are not stuck with any one tyre size. I recently replaced my 285 30 18's on the rear 9.5 inch wide rim with a 265 40 18 as that tyre size affords me more comfort and was considerably cheaper than the ones fitted.

Cheers Brian. I'm going to be dreaming about tyres tonight now lol

I know what to go for now.. and why :)

Supra-Brett - 30 profile must look like your rolling on the rims lol didn't know they went down that far!

I know the tyres sizes now.. just got to think about the brand!! As long as their good in the wet that's all I care about!

:)

id go with 235 up front and 265 rear, maybe 40mm all round

Dude now you are confusing the whole profile thing :D

Brand wise falkens are good value for money for a decent quality tyre. Goodyear eagle f1 are considered a very good balance of tyre for a supra. I had recently some pirreli p zero's fabulous grip awful for wearing out quickly. Bridgestone potenzas aren't a bad tyre but gone very expensive these days. Speak to Ibrarr on here he can advise you on tyre makes and their various attributes and maybe even able to get you a decent price for them as well.

Dude now you are confusing the whole profile thing :D

Brand wise falkens are good value for money for a decent quality tyre. Goodyear eagle f1 are considered a very good balance of tyre for a supra. I had recently some pirreli p zero's fabulous grip awful for wearing out quickly. Bridgestone potenzas aren't a bad tyre but gone very expensive these days. Speak to Ibrarr on here he can advise you on tyre makes and their various attributes and maybe even able to get you a decent price for them as well.

Why does someone here not get the 40mm and 35mm depth thing? :D i havent read the whole thread, 40mm up front and 35mm rear seems to be popular too, when i had 18s i had 40mm all round with 235 front and 265 rear..i also had Dunlop 9000 which i found v good