The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Spare wheel question?

dr_blackman

I'm running a nice set of 18's and i've wondered about if I have a punture problem would the spare wheel be ok with the current wheel nuts/locking nut I have with my ultralites or do you think I should carry a few of the old stock wheels nuts with me? :search:

I wondered this the other day lol

Or don't you advise using the spare wheel now?

Cheers,

Dave.

Guest Chumpalot

I have 19s on mine and I'd only use the spare if I was within a mile or so of home. Otherwise the RAC will be getting a call.

In fact I might just take it out altogether.

Yeah i'm in the AA if I was silly miles away from somewhere to get my tyres sorted!

I do a fair bit of miles about 48 a day in general and half of that is between 2-4am in the morning going to work so I thought i'd see what other peeps do when they are running non standard wheels and wheel nuts! :)

Guest Chumpalot

A lot of members on here have removed their spare wheel from what I've read through doing a quick search.

If you're worried about punctures perhaps carry a repair kit around with you or some of that stuff you get in a can to temporarily repair the wheel until you can get it professionally done.

Guest Chumpalot

You'd be surprised at what can be done to repair a tyre.... always worth checking it out before you fork out another £150 or whatever on a new one.

i got rid of my space saver {waste of space lol}

i got 17inch alloys rear been wider alloy than front

so i brought a spear alloy {front one smaller}

never have it in my boot if im local ,but on long distance i put spear alloy in boot.

spear alloy is 17inch 5 spoke lol

had a front spear cause it can go on front or rear

so its not illegal to not have a space saver then? or spare wheel?

~Dunno, but I bet carrying spears around with you will get you nicked!

i got rid of my space saver {waste of space lol}

i got 17inch alloys rear been wider alloy than front

so i brought a spear alloy {front one smaller}

never have it in my boot if im local ,but on long distance i put spear alloy in boot.

spear alloy is 17inch 5 spoke lol

had a front spear cause it can go on front or rear

it is illegal yes{i think} ,but i think if you got a spear tyre in the boot your ok{i think??}

but gf mom has just brought a new mini cooper and they dont have a spear tyre as they got them new tyres run flats run .

so not sure

any one know the rules of spear wheel

its not ilegal to run without a spare nor is it an mot requirement.

but , and this is a hole in the law. tyres should be matched across the same axle ! also the rover 25 came with a tin of holts tyre weld in the boot ( that is being a real mean s**t is'nt it).:Pling:

• 3 months later...

Sorry to resurrect this one but i've been toying with the idea of getting rid of my spare. I'm planning a small ICE install and in order to have a decent sized box without it blocking my rear view i'm going to have to build it to fit into the spare wheel's hole.

I was thinking about a couple of cans of this tyre weld stuff but i have did a bit of searching and some people reckon it wrecks your tyre.

However, i went onto one site and the person wrote that it was just uneconomical to repair so in actual fact it just takes time. In most cases, with people who have £40 tyres and the like, it probably is uneconomical. In our case i would like to think an extra 20 mins or so cleaning out the gunk is well worth the money and the tyre would be repairable.

Anyone else got any thoughts on this? Pretty sure i'm going to take the punge anyway. Just hope i don't regret it.

Scott =op