The mkiv Supra Owners Club

A warning for anyone using XS Power supplied fuel hose

Homer

I nearly lost my car (and mine and Ryan's life) last night :Pling:

On a hard run, the engine suddenly lost all power and there was an extremely strong smell of petrol. After Ryan shouted STOP at me a couple of times I pulled over to find the hose from the fuel rail to the regulator had disintegrated and popped off the FPR. This obvious sprayed fuel all over a very hot engine bay at 40psi :help:

Thankfully the car still has the stock fuel pump cut-off when the engine cuts out (unlike some garages practice!!) and this meant that as soon as the fuel was gone from the rail the pump stopped.

However, it was quite a scary moment and could have easily been much worse if the fuel had got as far as the exhaust manifold.

So, onto the reason for the post... For that one bit of fuel line I used the XS Power braided fuel hose that came with the XS power fpr/single turbo conversion kit. Though it looked fine from the outside, the rubber inside had perished, gone brittle and split in numerous places. Obviously last night it finally gave way and the pressure caused the line to come apart completely.

Looking at the line today, there is no internal braid (normally some sore of fabric?), it's just a basic, poor quality rubber hose with a metal braid on the outside.

This is now replaced with some normal rubber fuel line from my local motor factor, it only cost £3 but the difference in quality is immediate!

So, anyone who has had fuel work/kit fitting using XS Power kit (especially those using a certain garage) - check your fuel lines!

Pic below

fuel hose1.jpg

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I wonder if that explains the issues you'd been experiencing with power delivery?

Glad you two are OK :eek:

It explains the momentary loss of power I had a couple of times. We think we've found the other issue, it's a bit of an odd one (PM'd)

One things for sure after Ryan fixed this other problem, it felt like an easy 150+bhp more than before.

Thats another reason for only using proven/branded fuel system kits then.

Thats my thoughts exactly Gaz, and the reason I put this thread up as a warning to others. Although I wouldn't say that in this case I need to go to PHR to order a fuel hose!

When using that hose I thought "how bad can it be, it's just a bit of rubber" :( Just goes to show that you have to check every part is up to the job before fitting.

:eek: Possibly an email to XS Power about this might be in order dude?

I would have it hand delivered with a BIG STICK!!!

It explains the momentary loss of power I had a couple of times. We think we've found the other issue, it's a bit of an odd one (PM'd)

One things for sure after Ryan fixed this other problem, it felt like an easy 150+bhp more than before.

Just in time for the dyno on Saturday :D

Thats my thoughts exactly Gaz, and the reason I put this thread up as a warning to others.

When using that hose I thought "how bad can it be, it's just a bit of rubber" :( Just goes to show that you have to check every part is up to the job before fitting.

Can you please PM if you know who was one f these garages that removed that safety feature... :search:

Can you please PM if you know who was one f these garages that removed that safety feature... :search:

Take a guess - :rolleyes:

There's an easy check, turn your ignition on (but don't start) and see if the fuel pump comes on. If it does, it's very dangerous!

so you now have a whopping 200 bhp wow :D

Hell you two are lucky.

Or maybe it's just Ryan and the luck rubs off on whoever he's with?

ISTR he and B'Have had a lucky escape too. :)

The more I read about XS Power the more I want to steer well clear of anything of theirs. :(

Or maybe it's just Ryan and the luck rubs off on whoever he's with?

ISTR he and B'Have had a lucky escape too. :)(

The funny (ish) thing is, I met B'Have for the first time only 10 minutes beforehand! We were discussed his lucky escape from the fire and how much we valued our fire extinguishers :D

Darryl, I think and exmail to XS Power immediately with your findings, and perhaps a chat with trading standards. If they are a UK based compnay, then surely that fuel hose that they supply must conform to either a BSI or European standard, and if it doesn't comply then there's a serious issue right there.

Yours may, however, been part of a faulty batch that got through quality control (if they have any) but I would suggest to anyone that uses the same product to get theirs checked immediately and replace if required.

Imagine if you had had the 12v pump mod done. :blink: :eek: