The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How much for a full respray?

hadyn

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You did your own didn't you rob IIRC? How much did that cost you?

Thats right mate, it cost me around £800 in materials all told, but that included buying an air fed mask, and didnt include any costs related to the compressor or guns.

Thats just paint & thinners/activators, wet n dry paper, masking tape etc

It amazing how much it costs for a respray these days.

I remember when I was a young lad just over 10years ago:), I managed to get my 1st and then 2nd car both resprayed in my fave colour at the time a mettalic Green/Blue for around £600 with me removing all glass inc windcreen, door handles, flatting down the bodywork and doing minor tidying with filler, stopper etc.

Was a bloke Paul I knew who worked for a BMW Stephen James bodyshop, who would rent out a local oven over the weekend. Basically tack cloth down the car i'd prepped, and spray away.. Etch Prime, 2Pack Base Coat, laquer and low bake for however long it took.

Finish would depend on how good prep was. I spent weeks prepping so came out pretty good door shuts and all!

I wish he still do it, think he's getting on a bit now and i've heard he's a big cheese bodyshop manager now so not much chance of that.

I take it all bodyshops have to use water based paints now, has this got anything to do with the cost of resprays now days or is it all just inflation??

Thats why I haven't bothered asking anyone to do my a private job respray cos I'd have no come back if it came out crap, so if I'd want to make sure it was done properly i'd have to pay full wack which i would expect to be at least £2k

That why i never understand when you go to these Chav shows and see shitty little cars with loadsa work gone into fitting lairy bodykits and complex paint finishes why they put that much money into it, when i can't even justify it on my Supra! :complain:

I got a mate who will do a full repray for about £1200

I think I could get it cheaper with helping with the prep.... Just depends on who you know and how well u want the job done.

may aswell come to cornwall for mine done then but it would cost me four grand in petrol:p

4k? i hope thats some form of quad tone paint or paint directly from lambo if you basically talking a standard car respray!.

However if thats body kit spraying / blending etc etc , then you have to pay the price for that.

I looked around before doing mine , seemed the going rate for a respray in different colour was between 1.5k and 2k and thats for a pretty much stock car. (Toyota std colour, i might add)

4k? im still blown away by that figure........i think id want gold leaf on my door handles.