The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Crashed the Supra at the Nurburgring (I hate BMW'S)

jim_supra

PICTURES NOW ADDED.

As the title really, I had had gone away to Germany to watch the German WRC and to get a few laps in round the 'ring. when I got there it had started to rain, so we all decided to hold off for a while until it had stopped and the track had dried out.

After a short while the track had dried out and I got a ticket and set off. As it was my first time there I was taking it nice and easy because I obviously didn't know the track. I got about a third of the way round the track and I noticed a Red BMW approaching. I pull to the right as you're supposed to and begin to slow for the corner that was approaching and the BMW tucks in behind me.

As it was quite a tight corner, I was doing about 30mph to get round it, because the inside line of the corner had not dried out and was quite slippery and also didn't wanna risk crashing.

We both got round the corner and I started to slowly accellerate to allow the BMW to pass. I then hear the BMW floor it and in my mirrors see him narrowly miss the rear bumper of the car, and as he got further alongside me I see the back end of his car start to slide out.

Before I had any time to react, he had hit the front left corner of my car which then sent me into the armco barrier, which took out the front end of the car.:(

Needless to say I was pretty annoyed and it took all my will power not to smack him. The safety car pulled up shortly after as did the police and recovery trucks.

The police begin to take a statement from the BMW driver and then they come over to me telling me that the other driver had said it was my fault!! I then spent ages trying to show them what had actually happened, and proved that I was the innocent party, and eventually they got the other driver to tell the truth and admit that it was his fault.

The situation now is I'm back home in England, the car is still in Germany, and I now have to drive to Germany on friday again with a trailer to collect the car and bring it back home to get fixed.

Pics will be added shortly, as soon as they are sent to me. But it appears to be largely cosmetic damage, both front wings completely battered, the front bumper destroyed along with the headlights and SMIC. The area where the airbox sits has been pushed in maybe an inch or two.:(

I HATE BMW'S AND THEIR DRIVERS.

DSC00770.jpg

DSC00771.jpg

DSC00773.jpg

DSC00774.jpg

DSC00772.jpg

DSC00780.jpg

DSC00781.jpg

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Guys, It's still all still sinking in. And as Kieren said I had only just had the front end resprayed and facelifted.:(

Very bad luck there. What nationality was the BWM driver? Sounds like a bit of an asshole tbh.

The driver of the BMW was a German, and also a complete and utter twat who was showing off to his girlfriend. His bill for the repairs to the track is going to be a hell of a lot.

Hopefully he'll learn his lesson now. Shame you couldnt get your car back either.. no European breakdown cover?

Yes I did, however, I found out the AA will only recover a car that has been in an accident if they can reclaim the cost of the recovery from either mine or the other other drivers insurance. and i'm presuming the insurance for both parties will be invalid for driving on the 'ring, will enquire though.

I took the risk on driving there, and I got bitten. It's a mistake I won't be making again. And I think lessons have been learnt by both myself and the other driver.

Gutted for you mate. If you need a hand with anything let me know.

What are you using to get the car home ?

Thanks Col, I was going to use a trailer and a tow car, but I have worked out the cost and it's going to be close to what it costs to get the car recovered by someone else. So I think I'm going to do that. Not fully decided yet.

EDIT: I will also be trying to claim on his insurance (if valid) so will try to recover the cost of that.

Guest Chumpalot
Surely it was diesel on the corner, forcing the bmw driver to lose all possibility of control :)

yeah that...

Chin up mate. Gutted for you but at least you're OK.

:)