The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Slip diff / traction control

Jamesy

on my (potential ) new TT, it has a button by the gear stick for traction control / slip diff.

does this mean if i turn it "on" (so the lights on the dash) the rear will spin out? and if i leave it off i can boot it round corners in the wet and not end up facing the wrong direction and looking a right t!t??

:D

Guest Chumpalot

Is the TT you're thinking of getting a facelift or non-facelift version? Some say the facelift's TC is better.

I think the general feeling amongst members on here is that the stock Toyota traction control is rubbish. Many leave it turned off and/or remove the fuse completely and those who can afford it have upgraded to a proper TC setup like RLTC.

If you floor it from the off you're asking for trouble really. More so in the wet. I tend to try and get the power down quickly but smoothly so as not to upset the rear of my car.

And look out for surprise kickdowns as well from the auto box. These can be a joy sometimes :D

Is the TT you're thinking of getting a facelift or non-facelift version? Some say the facelift's TC is better.

I think the general feeling amongst members on here is that the stock Toyota traction control is rubbish. Many leave it turned off and/or remove the fuse completely and those who can afford it have upgraded to a proper TC setup like RLTC.

If you floor it from the off you're asking for trouble really. More so in the wet. I tend to try and get the power down quickly but smoothly so as not to upset the rear of my car.

And look out for surprise kickdowns as well from the auto box. These can be a joy sometimes :D

hello mate:)

not sure if its a facelift... its a 1994 L Reg, RZ TT Manual if that helps?

i will leave it on (i.e not with the light on the dash) - and hope that this settles the rear down alright.

i have driven a couple of old shape M3's and the arse always came out which was a nightmare!:D

Guest Chumpalot

non-facelift.

I'd leave it on too and see how you get on. Depends on your driving style really I guess.

It's not so much losing the rear that's the problem, it's what happens when it gains traction again. The snapping motion can be quite violent and then you'll find yourself facing the other way. Of course tyres play a huge part in all this but if you have a sensible head on your shoulders you shouldn't have any problems.

I think you're getting confused. It doesn't (or shouldn't) say "slip diff".

It says "slip cont.", as in slip control, as in traction control.

So it doesn't affect your limited slip diff, if you have one. Having an LSD will make you more likely to spin out, but give better traction when one wheel is slipping (or so I think.. awaits corrections.. pretty sure I've thought about it properly). You can't control anything to do with the LSD via any buttons or anything.

Traction control in facelift cars is much better. It still cuts in too hard (cuts all power), and doesn't give you the power back until centuries later, but it's much much faster to react. It can actually cut the power before you're sliding, which is kind of useful, rather than waiting until you're facing the wrong way before cutting the power, which is kind of deadly really.

Think you have it the right way round carl0s :thumbs:

Yeah, I've thought about this a bit. Not sure about going round bends with the power down, but what I've thought about is what would happen if you were going in a straight line and you put your foot down while the left wheel was on ice.

With an LSD, the right wheel would have power and would yank the car / cause it to yaw to the left.

Without an LSD, the wheel on ice would just spin.

That about right? Not really thought about gradual bends though, except that for the life of me I can't get the girlfriend's 318i to drift/slide in the wet on full-lock.

on my (potential ) new TT, it has a button by the gear stick for traction control / slip diff.

does this mean if i turn it "on" (so the lights on the dash) the rear will spin out? and if i leave it off i can boot it round corners in the wet and not end up facing the wrong direction and looking a right t!t??

:D

You're back to front by the way. The light on the dash means that you've disabled traction control.

The vvti TC isn't any better, in fact, in my book it's worse, cos you can turn it off, but i'm convinced it's still trying to do something even though the light says otherwise, and you can't take the fuse out on the vvti ones (well, not mine anyway).

I agree that it's quick to react, and if you're the only vehicle on the road it makes sense to leave it on in the wet, but if there are other cars you'll just end up facing the traffic with no power and a lovely "snow" light on the dash... Personally, i never ever have it on, even in the wet, cos a slide I can control to a point, but having no power when you need it is too dangerous. I'm going to change the warning light to green so it looks nicer :)

The vvti TC isn't any better, in fact, in my book it's worse, cos you can turn it off, but i'm convinced it's still trying to do something even though the light says otherwise, and you can't take the fuse out on the vvti ones (well, not mine anyway).

We should class the VVTis as ultra-facelift or something. Mine's just a cosmetic facelift :(

What could it be doing though? I thought the fuse just stopped the butterfly valve thing on auto gearchanges or something?

You can sit there and do burnouts with the TC off can't you?

I'm going to change the warning light to green so it looks nicer :)

ha ha ha great idea :D

I thought about some kind of automatic switch. Do they call them bi-stables or something in electronics? A little circuit which would sense the voltage on the traction-off LED, and if there was no voltage there (i.e. TC is on), then it'd momentarily short the TC-Off switch for you, so in effect the TC would be off everytime you started the car.

I didn't like the idea of pulling the TRAC fuse for gearbox longevity.

Guest Chumpalot

Would I be wrong in thinking plenty of R&D went into creating the TC system on the Supra? Probably not.

So why is it so crap? I really don't get it.

I am sensing some experts kicking about in this thread so, when I had my little introduction to a tyre wall at the Aberdeen meet everyone berated me (in the nicest possible way) for touching the brakes which I cannot deny I did cos you can see it on the vid BUT I only touched them lightly so could it have been my TC that caused me to switch ends so quick. It was definately on cos I am too scared to turned it off.

Also, on a drag strip - on (for better traction off the line) or off (prevents power cutting when it kicks in etc)

???

When I had my TT, it wasn't the cut in power that bothered me - it was that it was soooo slow to realise the wheels were spinning. I could happily have been in a hedge before it realised it should cut the power - then it finally would.

well at santa pod I can get almost half way down the strip before it cuts the power. I do have it on in the wet but it has never come on when I need it. Normaly its pull out of junction, oops a little bit of wheel spin, back off, straighten up, ease throttle in, traction control kicks in......

well at santa pod I can get almost half way down the strip before it cuts the power. I do have it on in the wet but it has never come on when I need it. Normaly its pull out of junction, oops a little bit of wheel spin, back off, straighten up, ease throttle in, traction control kicks in......

Yeah that!

Link to vid http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?...02936&hl=en-GB

You need to go right ot the end (obviously) as I drive around for ages not doing anything exciting!

If the link doesn't work it is in this thread http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=99013

post number 346