The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Help, please put my mind at rest!

Smellywelshman

Right,

As I've posted a week or so ago I'm planning to convert my N/A to a TT with an engine/transmission/diff transplant via Jezz's Silverstone garage. Now all I've had from you guys so far is support about this idea.:D

But........

I've been speaking to my mate (the erstwhile FTO owner that I'm looking forward to burning offf the minute I had some tubbies) and his mate (a mechanic) has strongly advised that I don't do it!:(

He's said that the N/A's make-up as in suspension, brakes and lack of traction control mean that it will be undriveable.

He's also said that the majority of parts on the N/A (chassis and general nuts and bolts are not fit to take the extra power. This guy is not a Supra expert, and from reading some of the threads on here..... I know that this is the place to ask the question....

Can my N/A take it? Has anybody on here done it so far, or does anybody know of someone thats had it done that I can talk to? As that would be the ultimate proof of the pudding.

I just dont want to f*@k up a clean car because of my power hungry nature!!!

Cheers for your help peeps,

Rob...

Most of the stuff is the same other than that which is already included as part of the conversion so don't worry about it - as for traction control, it ain't worth diddly anyways and you're better off without it, mine has TC removed - traction control is my right foot!

Cheers,

Brian.

Most of the stuff is the same other than that which is already included as part of the conversion so don't worry about it - as for traction control, it ain't worth diddly anyways and you're better off without it, mine has TC removed - traction control is my right foot!

Cheers,

Brian.

Brian, your a shining light in this malestrom of confusion!!;)

I know what your saying regarding the traction control. I recently had an episode that reaffirmed my respect for the rwd GT car! It just shook me up a tad to have a mechanic be so against me doing it!

i think i only need to say one thing...

This guy is not a Supra expert

The guys at silverstone garage on the other hand are...

And as has already been said. Suspension and brakes on an NA are the same as the jspec TT (unless it happens to have the upgraded brakes, which is quite rare)

And the T control on a supra is useless anyway most people turn it off.

P.S Im planning to do the conversion early next year. And i think ill be leaving the brakes as they are for now. ive had better pads and some braided lines fitted and that inproves them quite a bit.

i think i only need to say one thing...

The guys at silverstone garage on the other hand are...

And as has already been said. Suspension and brakes on an NA are the same as the jspec TT (unless it happens to have the upgraded brakes, which is quite rare)

And the T control on a supra is useless anyway most people turn it off.

P.S Im planning to do the conversion early next year. And i think ill be leaving the brakes as they are for now. ive had better pads and some braided lines fitted and that inproves them quite a bit.

Hahahahahahahahaha, good man!!

But you and I are slightly biased, as we REALLY REALLY want to do this! I'm just trying to cover all my bases if you know what I mean! I'd really like to talk to someone thats actually had this done, so I can discuss the in's and out's with them!

I'm biased too, as I want to do it to mine, but I think everyone who has done it already are all the proof you need... I do like the thought that Toyota would have fitted weaker bolts to the NA, sorry, it made me giggle :)

Go for it, I'm sure you'll have yours done before mine, I've still got to get mine back in one piece... lol

i dont recall the names of the guys who have had it done. however i did very briefly chat to a guy while my car was at silverstong garage who i believe was the first to have it done. he seemed very satisfied.

Im trying to see if jezzy has a vvti engine to fit in with my car being facelift... but i think impatience is going to get the better of me and ill end up with a pre facelift engine :p

I didn't think that the suspension was the same, but thats easily sortable isn't it.

I'm more concerned about any internals and the lack of TC. But as has already been mentioned a lot of people turn theirs off anyway, so that seems to get rid of that problem.:D

Anyone on today thats had this done? Or know of someone whose had it done.:search: I get the feeling that theres quite a few N/A owners on here who are considering doing this, and it would be good to get some feedback doncha think!?

Ask Jezz, he's not going to tell you any fibs mate ;)

Oh aye, he's a good bloke. And (had) put my mind at ease after many pm's and even more questions from me :) just this mechanic gave me the willies. All I've heared on here are good things about doing it....

Im doing mine very soon just need to get hold of £500 i have the rest saved up, anyone wanna donate £5 into my paypal to help me along my way!

I will promise a good write up :D

I'll race you there mate :eyebrows: I'm booked in to get it done onthe 31st of this month.... Wooooooo!:D

The standard suspension is not the same on the NA, the NA has different spring rates and damping as they are slightly lighter. What the effect will be, putting a TT lump in there I've no idea.

i dow to your superior knowledge. :salute:

i cant imagine this being hard to change... if it even needs to be at all.

I'll race you there mate :eyebrows: I'm booked in to get it done onthe 31st of this month.... Wooooooo!:D

Im fitting it all myself with my girlfriends dad he is a great mechanic :)

Im just after all the parts would like to get mine done by the end of september lets see if i can get that £500 i need :D

Was very impressed with what my insurance company come up with price wise aswell :D

Is yours a 5speed mate?

Im just after all the parts would like to get mine done by the end of september lets see if i can get that £500 i need :D

Was very impressed with what my insurance company come up with price wise aswell :D

Is yours a 5speed mate?

Nay lad, auto, so Jezz will be fitting a TT autobox as part of the conversion. Oh, and an FMIC to:eyebrows:

Now, I know that this is going to sound dead dopey. But how many gears does the TT autobox have? I've looked on the model differences chart and it looks like theres four (inc. overdrive). If this is so is the gearing different to cope with the higher top speed/power?

Its a discussion me and my FTO owning mate were having over a pint of Arthur Guinness's best last night.

Is yours a 5speed mate?

Are you keeping the 5 speed, and are you adding LSD